Arduino Sound triggered photography

Not the first, but always nice to show some results XD Long exposures in dark room and triggered the flash on sound.

Used piezo for sound detection as in the trigger kit from the hiviz.com website. Hooked it up to my arduino to be abled to set the delay end reset time as I prefered. SCR to shortcut flash. Simple yet effective project.

Playing with different set-ups and delays (time between hard sound and flash trigger). Some results:

I love the board game and the glasses. What did you do to get the glasses moving like that?

biocow:
I love the board game and the glasses. What did you do to get the glasses moving like that?

tape them on a shelve on wheels :stuck_out_tongue:

click to view notes, glasses taped to black shelve on wheels, on top of an inclined shelve (white)

What camera are you using there?

thegeekway:
What camera are you using there?

nikon d300s with sigma 70-200 f2.8 @ iso 200, F5.0 & 3s

Last result, getting to the point of perfection i'm looking for!

Breadboard diagram (left part is explaind on HIVIZ.com, arduino and part in red rectangle I've added myself):

and the code at the moment is:

const int ledPin = 13;     
const int meetPin = 2;   
const int flashPin = 7;    

int meet = LOW;             

void setup() {                      
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);    
digitalWrite(flashPin, LOW);  
digitalWrite(meetPin, HIGH);   
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);       
}

void loop()                              
{
meet = digitalRead(meetPin);       

if (meet == LOW){                      
delay(100);                              // delay between sound and flash
digitalWrite(flashPin, HIGH);       // flash goes off
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);         // LED during 'dead time'
delay(4000);                            //to make sure I only get one flash
  }

}

Wow that's cool!

tried completing this project myself, can not seem to get the flash to fire. followed the diagram you have shown here.. i think it may be the scr, mind sharing the part number you used? or possibly any other thoughts as to what might case it?

diagram was wrong. Black and white wires should be reversed. Updated the picture

APPLAUDING <<<

I use an optocoupler with a lot of success, 2n35 I think. I'd think a SSR (Solid State Relay) would be overkill, but would work. Just remember older external flashes (and cheap new ones) sometimes dump a couple hundred volts or more across those terminals. An NPN transistor isn't enough.

What type of flash, by the way, and what mode? After a couple of paying gigs, I've finally actually purchased what might be considered my first "Professional" level hardware purchase, a Canon 430EX flash. First TTL flash I've had and I must say it's night and day (literally in some respects) in terms of managing exposure. I've not had time to "play" with it yet however, and I'm thinking that a TTL flash has to be ideal for stop motion- it quenches the strobe mid flash once appropriate lighting is sensed. That means very short duration if set up right, I would think.. I've already found that my Interfit (el cheapo) 150w/s heads just can't be used for stop-motion, the flash duration is far too long. They are great as a portable portrait setup, but those big tubes firing all that time.. motion blur when you are trying to avoid it.. painful.

Right now on my "to do" list is an idea you'll like: I have collected and am triggering TEN salvaged flash units from disposable 35mm cameras.. with variable, programmable, and triggered delays, driven by Arduino. Special Effects strobe that ought to be good for a ton of interesting effects....

Just remember older external flashes (and cheap new ones) sometimes dump a couple hundred volts or more across those terminals

MOC3020, every time.
Fires my mix of old and new flashes flawlessly.

HELP PLEASE!

I have follow this circuit but i have a problem.

I am using a wireless trigger PT-04TM to trigger the flash and when i connect to hiviz part all work ok, the flash´s trigger.

When i make the connections with the second SCR EC103D and Arduino, the trigger and flash don´t work, any suggestions???

I think the signal from piezo to arduino to the second SCR is no strong to trigger the the PT-04TM...

but i am a dumb in this questions

An SCR is polarised - have you got the flash lead the right way around?

All connections are like the diagram

Have you checked the polarity of the flash lead?

yes, everything looks ok, but no sucess.

Any sugestions?

Put a LED in place of the SCR and see if it lights.

No Light.

I tried with another code only for the flash and works ok only with flash, so the problem must be the code, any sugestions?

I have made little change in the code and add the follow:

pinMode(flashPin, OUTPUT)

Now i am havin a "little" light in led but is "not strong" to trigger the PT-04TM.
Anyway to increase the power OUTPUT

Solved!!!

I made same modifications.

Who is having trouble to connect the flash or a wireless trigger like PT-04TM can try this:

The circuit is the same, the modifications are:

• The connection from breadboard to Arduino, in second SCR, the G (Gate) is wired to arduino in output (PWM) ~11

The code is:

const int ledPin = 13;
const int meetPin = 2;
const int flashPin = 11;

int meet = LOW;

void setup() {
pinMode(flashPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(meetPin, INPUT);
digitalWrite(meetPin, HIGH);
}

void loop()
{
meet = digitalRead(meetPin);

if (meet == LOW){
delay(100); // delay between sound and flash
for (int value=0; value<255; value++) //Increase "Power" from output ~11 to Gate in SCR flash
digitalWrite(flashPin, HIGH); // flash goes off
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); // LED during 'dead time'
delay(4000); //to make sure I only get one flash
}

}