Arduino v 1.0.2 with Mac OS 10.8.2

Thanks for the link to v1.0.1. I think I am going backwards with Arduino. Now I get a message "processing.app.SerialException: Serial port '/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it."

I connected the USB cable to the back of the iMac and got this message. I am not sure what programs would be using that Serial port? I tried all of the 4 selections under Tools > Serial ports the default was /dev/tty.bluetooth-Modem. I checked system preferences under Bluetooth and disabled it but same result.

Not sure what to do next. There is some activity with a backup program running to an external hard drive but USB should be able to handle more than one activity at a time as it has in the past. The iMac thinks that the Arduino is a modem according to Simon Monk's book "Programing Arduino"

I get that same "'/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem' already in use" error sometimes too. It has something to do with plugging and unplugging the usb cable to the Arduino. What you need to do is go to the Tools menu, select Serial Port and choose one of them with USB. Then it should work. Hope that helps.

lanceh5:
The iMac thinks that the Arduino is a modem according to Simon Monk's book "Programing Arduino"

A usbmodem, not a Bluetooth modem.

The Bluetooth devices are the default serial Bluetooth profiles setup by OSX.

Where did you buy your Arduino from?

James, I bought the Arduino from Amazon about 1.5 years ago. It had been working OK but my problems began with OS10.8. Now I do not have the USB option from the Tools>Serial Port, only Bluetooth. Arduino only installed Bluetooth options in the Tools menu. I checked my Macbook, OS10.7, and it only has Bluetooth options in the Tools>Serial Port menu, no USB. I tried Arduino versions 1.0, 1.01. and 1.0.2. My Mac and Arduino do not play well together.

Here is something weird. Since trouble shooting during this post I was plugging the USB cable into Arduino then into the computer. However it is working now, getting USB options in the Serial Port menu, when I plug the cable into the computer first then into Arduino. My USB cable is 6 feet long, not sure if that makes a difference. So I need to first plug the cable into the computer then into Arduino??

lanceh5:
James, I bought the Arduino from Amazon about 1.5 years ago. It had been working OK but my problems began with OS10.8. Now I do not have the USB option from the Tools>Serial Port, only Bluetooth. Arduino only installed Bluetooth options in the Tools menu. I checked my Macbook, OS10.7, and it only has Bluetooth options in the Tools>Serial Port menu, no USB. I tried Arduino versions 1.0, 1.01. and 1.0.2. My Mac and Arduino do not play well together.

Hmmmm, Same problem here. I cannot find the USB as well

lanceh5:
James, I bought the Arduino from Amazon about 1.5 years ago.

Then it is not a Genuine Arduino, so many bets are off. You need to determine what kind of USB to Serial chip it is using. Don't bother looking at the official Arduino documentation. Actually, I wouldn't trust the documentation the seller provided either. You'll have to look at the actual chip.

lanceh5:
Arduino only installed Bluetooth options in the Tools menu.

"Arduino" does not install serial ports. The Arduino IDE simply lists the ports provided by the operating system.

lanceh5:
My Mac and Arduino do not play well together.

Probably related to the fact that it isn't really an Arduino, but a cheaply made clone.

I've got the same problem with a brand new official Uno board bought from Mouser that works fine on my work laptop Win 7.

Brought it home to use on my iMac running 10.8.2. IDE 1.0.2 runs fine, I select /dev/tty.usbmodemfd11 and when i try to upload a sketch i get the message:

Serial port '/dev/tty.usbmodemfd131' already in use. Try quitting any programs that may be using it.

and then the report from the IDE:

Binary sketch size: 1,084 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
processing.app.SerialException: Serial port '/dev/tty.usbmodemfd131' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:171)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:174)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port '/dev/tty.usbmodemfd131' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:101)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:174)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

I've tried using 1.0.1 of the IDE without luck. I also get an extremely quick pop up window message that i cannot read when i start the IDE.

Can anyone help?

danpicko:
Serial port '/dev/tty.usbmodemfd131' already in use. Try quitting any programs that may be using it.

Try using the lsof trick I mention here, to see if something is holding the serial port open.
http://www.cmiyc.com/blog/2012/10/08/arduino-fixing-serial-port-in-use/

Also, your problem isn't not the same as the others in the thread, you really should have started a new topic.

The /var/lock/ solution on your page fixed it.

thanks.

thanks James!!.
I had the same modem connection problem but, No More :grin:

I have two UNO R3 Plus boards - and both are not allowing me to upload "Blink" to them.

When I first plugged both in, there was no USB Serial drivers listed in the TOOLS - SERIAL - options.

I checked the MAC System Information Profiler - and the card is being recognized by my Mac - FT232R USB UART is listed under the USB 3.0 conector. The manufacturer is FTDI, so I downloaded a driver from
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg

This now brings up a /dev/tty.usbserial-XXXXXXX

However - when I click the Upload button - I still get the following error...

• avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Any fast help is appreciated - as this Starter Kit is a gift for my son and I want to make sure its compatible with Mac 10.8.2. I did buy it at Frys Electronics and the kit is produced by OSEPP.

Thanks in advance for any help.

In relation to my previous post - I am using an iMac with OS 10.8.2 and Arduino v1.0.2 : But also tried Arduino v1.0.1 and v1.0 - so I don't think its my IDE.

The KIT I purchased is OSEPP - OSEPP™ Mega 2560 R3 Plus

I believe this has to do with my serial driver... but I am a newbie and appreciate help.

The OSEPP modules aren't arduinos. They are (in my opinion) bad knock offs. As such, you really should direct support questions to them, since they don't provide any support to the Arduino community.

Change your board to Duemilanove and as you already discovered, make sure you have the FTDI drivers installed.

Thank you James - that did the trick :slight_smile:

Hi, I have been following this thread and mine still is not working. I am using the Osepp Uno R3 Plus that comes with the Osepp 101 Starter Kit Series, and I am doing all of this with my macbook running OSX 10.5.8. I tried all of the different Uno and Duemilanove options under "Tool - Board" with each of the USB serial port options. Looking at the chips on my board, I can see that I have an ftdi chip and a Mega328P chip. I installed the ftdi driver. I've tried hooking up the USB, Macbook, and board in different orders and resetting the board and installing the earlier 1.0.1 version of the IDE software. I'm trying to run the Blink sketch from this page on Osepp's site:

http://osepp.com/learning-centre/start-here/uno-r3-plus/

I still get the "avrdude: stk500_rec(): programmer is not responding" problem when I upload the sketch. I'm getting a solid green "on" light by the reset button, and the L led by pin 13 blinks while the sketch is uploading, but then that same L led goes dark once the sketch finishes uploading. Does anybody have any ideas of what else I should try? Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any help. Can anybody tell me what this error message means? What is the programmer that is not responding? I'm guessing based on other posts I've read that this is an issue with my macbook's software not recognizing the Uno correctly.

I tried going back to selecting Arduino Uno instead of Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega 328 under tools > board and I got it working now. I'm not sure what the problem was because that's what I originally tried. It might have been me reinstalling the ftdi driver, because I did that twice from as I remember were I think two different sources.

I was having the same issue with a OSEPP Uno Plus. The board uses the FTDI for USB serial communications. I installed the FTDI drivers (64 bit for OSX 10.8) The Osepp website says to use the "Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328" for programming the board... THESE DID NOT WORK. In the arduino software preferences I turned on "Show verbose output during upload". This helped resolve the problem. The issue is that the software is trying to communicate at 57600 Baud. I changed the board type to "Arduino Mini w Atmega 328". The board profile uses 115200 baud and it worked instantly!

Hope this helps someone else, as stuff like this is very aggravating !

craiger:
I was having the same issue with a OSEPP Uno Plus.

Hope this helps someone else, as stuff like this is very aggravating !

Yes well, the OSEPP stuff is purposely mislabeled to trick people into buying it. If you are aggravated, take it up with them. They're the ones screwing you.