Go Down

Topic: How to connect WS2811 5050 RGB LED Strip to Arduino/Genuino Uno? (Read 10236 times) previous topic - next topic

pepefest

Profwombat - did you ever manage to get this to work ?

Profwombat

KEVINJUDE

Hi all, i am new here, can i know what is the full programming codes to control WS2811 12V RGB LED Strip for running light 3 by 3 ?

cartwrig

No one mentioned this; but, since you're discussing WS2811.  That strip is 12VDC.  The Arduino's Digital Outputs are only +5VDC.  I'm thinking you would need to up convert the DIO's voltage to 12VDC, by using the 5VDC to drive an optocoupler, such as this:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/159694/n-channel-mosfet-as-12-vdc-switch

PaulRB

That strip is 12VDC.  The Arduino's Digital Outputs are only +5VDC.  I'm thinking you would need to up convert the DIO's voltage to 12VDC, by using the 5VDC to drive an optocoupler,
No, the strip is powered by 12V but it's data line requires a 5V or 3.3V signal.

If you apply 12V to the data line, you may damage it.

megabri

Hi, I had same problem at beginning... and finally I notice that I had connected the DATA from Arduino to the Dout pin of the Led Strip, instead to Din pin.
That solve my problem.

Have a nice day

moJoeRedRog

I have connected everything as shown in the images (sorry, they failed to upload).

use photobucket.com there host photos for free and they are so easy to put into messages

frankvnz

No, the strip is powered by 12V but it's data line requires a 5V or 3.3V signal.
I know it's been a while, but... how sure are you of this? I'm struggling with this same problem. I don't think that 3.3V is enough. But maybe 5V?

PaulRB

I don't think that 3.3V is enough. But maybe 5V?
During a recent project, I also found that 3.3V data signal was not reliable with ws2811. There was considerable loss of data.

I tried using 1 channel of a 4 channel logic level convertor module to increase the 3.3V signal to 5V. This was much better, but still there was occasional data loss, and the circuit was not stable, for example touching the logic convertor module resulted in more data loss.

grumpy_mike suggested using a 74hc14. This chip contains 6 inverter gates with Schmitt trigger inputs. Two gates should be connected in series, and the chip powered by 5V. With this, there is no data loss or instability.

Go Up