Muscle Sensor v3 problems

Has anyone had success with this sensor http://www.advancertechnologies.com/p/muscle-sensor-v3.html . After setting everything up I am only getting what appears to be noise when it is attached to the arm. My arduino is outputting around 330~340 from the analog pin regardless of the motions of the arm with the sensors. Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you have it wired as shown in the user manual? With two 9V batteries for power and two wires to the Arduino?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Wy2qiwirwyNFV1dlA2T1JVZFU/edit

What are you using for electrodes?

Yes it is wired as shown and i am using the cables and pads that came with the kit... I tested the battery with a multimeter and it is delivering the right voltage to the sensor. I don't know where to go from here

If you followed all the directions correctly and aren't getting useful results you should probably contact the vendor about getting a replacement.

I will contact them, but if anyone has faced a similar problem or got them working fine I would still like to talk about the sensor.

Have you monitored the output signal of the sensor board with a multimeter?

Maybe you are just getting noise.

Does it drop to zero if you short the electrodes?

Have you tried running everything off of batteries w/o a connection to a PC?

There was a connection that was not fully secured. So now it is working :slight_smile: but I would still love to talk to someone working with the sensor find out what they are doing.

Thanks all

Hey, i'm having some troubles making it work. I'm using Arduino fio board with a divider in order to have 3V maximum. What board are you using? What connexion was not fully secured? Where do you put the electrodes?

I would appreciate your help!

The connections you need to "secure" are all of them. I had trouble with my board, but it turned out that I just hadn't soldered the header pins on well enough.

As for electrodes, basically pick the muscle you want, put the red one in the center of the muscle, the blue one at one end, and the black one somewhere close and bony. It's pretty easy to feel the locations by flexing the muscle.

I am still not getting the meaning of "secure".

My problem is listening to PIN A0 give me constant value 1023

Following is my Arduino Code :
int sensorPin = A0; // select the input pin for the potentiometer
int ledPin = 13; // select the pin for the LED
int sensorValue = 0; // variable to store the value coming from the sensor

void setup() {
// declare the ledPin as an OUTPUT:
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(sensorPin,INPUT);

}

void loop() {
// read the value from the sensor:
sensorValue = analogRead(sensorPin);

Serial.println(sensorValue);
delay(100);
}

I am having the same problem that the output signal is not varying and it is giving volts in milli. Can some one please provide me the arduino code to check whether the muscle sensor kit is working properly or not.

I will really appreciate ur help

hi everyone!

I got a strange problem. When i'm providi voltage to the muscle sensor using voltage generator, i'm able to get the proper output.
But, when i'm using batteries(philips 9V) instead of voltage generator i'm not able to get the proper output. So i tested weather am i providing the right voltage or not.. when i checked using multi meter i noticed the voltages are +9v and -9v. After giving the battery connections to the muscle sensor as mentioned in the user manual, interestingly i've noticed that all the voltage from one of the battery is drained and i really don't know what was happened. I tried the same thing with 2 more new batteries and again the same thing happened.

Someone please let me know what's the problem was.

Thanks in advance.

Question:
If all connections are correct, i load the code described below, and i get all zero in my serial screen. Does it mean that the chip of the sencor is burnt? (arduino board is perfectly ok and before i connect the sensor it gives some readings)

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {

delay(100);
}

i got one of these working i just flowed the instructions and it worked fine it was able to detect my hart beat as well.

same here same problem with slight modification in power setup i am using 5v+- supply when i attach black electrode to bone the value get zero in serial before it is showing value around 896 ..contineous

hello guys, i followed the connections and uses

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {

delay(100);
}

and my serial monitor displays 255. Am i on the correct path?

diello:
Hey, i'm having some troubles making it work. I'm using Arduino fio board with a divider in order to have 3V maximum. What board are you using? What connexion was not fully secured? Where do you put the electrodes?

I would appreciate your help!

You cannot power this sensor with +3V. It needs a minimum off +/-3.5V to operate meaning you need at least a +7V supply.

Advancer:
You cannot power this sensor with +3V. It needs a minimum off +/-3.5V to operate meaning you need at least a +7V supply.

Hi advancer,
the value we got from the muscle sensor is in volt? or other?

thanks!