A project to prevent a homocide

So, I had to make a couple of solder joints the other day, so I dropped my soldering block (it's a cutting board) on the counter and got to it. Like we all do from time to time, I got distracted and accidentally hit my finger with the iron, giving me one of those instant, painful surface burns that irons are good at.

This was not that bad.. until I dropped the iron to run cold water on my finger and didn't notice it roll off the cutting board and onto the counter. The three year old laminate countertop my wife loves.

Apparently laminate countertops are applied using a heat-based adhesive, and once heated enough, it will bubble up. When that bubble comes in contact with a soldering iron, the iron is plenty hot enough to burn a hole in the now bubbled up counter laminate.

[pauses to get reactions.. expecting range from "OMG you are dead" to "I did that once, just before the divorce"]

The good news is, laminate countertops aren't that expensive.

Chuck Norris and I often solder wearing shorts - Chuck doesn't scream though when the blob of solder descends :frowning:

Boffin1:
Chuck Norris and I often solder wearing shorts - Chuck doesn't scream though when the blob of solder descends :frowning:

I have many burns from that. Not quite as bad as Mig welding slag though.

Yep, the old welding-slag-down-the-boots trick. Know it well, and they reckon I can't dance :slight_smile:

Rob

I have many burns from that.

Once wasn't enough?

Good ol' boy's corollary to Murphy's Law: You don't learn anything the second time you're kicked by a mule.

-j

kg4wsv:

I have many burns from that.

Once wasn't enough?

Good ol' boy's corollary to Murphy's Law: You don't learn anything the second time you're kicked by a mule.

-j

I have one of those big craftsman toolchests under my bench, so it doesn't cover my legs (probably not that good for my back either). I always think i'll remember to lean over, until 4 hours later, i'm tired, and the soldering iron cuts off a 2cm long piece of solder.

Don't laugh, once I managed to step on a hot soldering iron while in sock feet.

The bottom of one's foot is not a nice place for a nasty burn.

On second thought, go ahead and laugh it was pretty stupid.

Eventually my foot did heal. Your counter top won't.

Don't laugh, once I managed to step on a hot soldering iron while in sock feet.

On a serious note, I stepped on a burning charcoal from the barbeque 25 year ago, and just dunked my foot briefly in the swimming pool.
A friend told me to leave my foot in the pool for several minutes ( to stop it cooking ) but I knew better, and didnt even cover the blister when it burst.

I now have one foot 1 size bigger than the other while rested, and much bigger than that after standing or walking all day.
Luckily the climate here allows me to be barefoot, or to wear adjustable strap sandals all year, otherwise I would have a massive shoe budget !

OK, the producers of " Finding Bigfoot" can rest now, he is in Cape Town :slight_smile:

Oh dear, I have just noticed this is post 666 and I am a God member ? :frowning:

Yep, the old welding-slag-down-the-boots trick. Know it well, and they reckon I can't dance smiley

LOL Rob

Just trying to picture a walkabout nomad in boots ( and a solar powered welder ) :slight_smile:

Luckily the climate here allows me to be barefoot

Apart from my steel-caps I wear when doing some work, and my hiking boots I wear...well when I'm hiking, I haven't worn shoes in maybe 10 years.

I gave a talk about photography in a club in January this year, I had to go and buy some shoes because the club had dress rules :slight_smile:

I suppose that technically I do have a solar-powered welder, it's a small 24v MIG that runs off the truck batteries that in turn are charged by solar.

Rob

Graynomad:
Yep, the old welding-slag-down-the-boots trick. Know it well, and they reckon I can't dance :slight_smile:

How does that compare to the ejected shell casing down your shirt?

He he, pretty much the same I would think although I've only got a shotgun so that's not a problem for me.

Rob

Slag from the homemade fireworks, dripping down my wrist after I picked up the burning device to run to hide from my parents...
Interesting (and faint, by now) scar. Probably part chemical burn, but quite shallow...

justjed:

Graynomad:

Different kind of dance entirely.

justjed:

I had a shell casing eject from the gun, bounce off my forehead, off the rim of my safety glass, then fall down and poke me in the eye. That was unpleasant.

Being shocked by a 300v capacitor out of an old camera (as i found out) however scary that was.... far far less painful to that of a soldering burn.

I touched it with 1 hand / entry point and then the other hand (through my arm, chest, other arm) i felt the exit strike through my other hand to something else i was holding... made my lower arm tingle and go numb for a while lol...

focalist:
[pauses to get reactions.. expecting range from "OMG you are dead" to "I did that once, just before the divorce"]

Okay, don't panic, this will cost you money and time besides the never live it down part.

Bed, Bath and Beyond; go scout out what they got on your own. If it looks promising, you'll have to supply the angle on "new, honey!" and even cheap flowers is 10x better than no flowers at all.

hehe.. Not likely. You don't stand a chance. Can't get That Pattern and No Other Will Do. Speaking of Will, is yours made out?

R.I.P. Focalist

You may be right Ni$hant, we haven't heard from focalist since his first post :slight_smile:

Rob