arduino LED  music visualizer

I created a music LED visualizer using parts I had lying around last weekend, not sure how much I will use it but it turned out ok enough to use at parties. The visualization is done by a mono input that from an line level audio device that feeds into the ADC via an amplifier stage.

Video and construction details @ http://jarv.org/blinkm-music.shtml

I would like to see this visualize music that will light all three lights in each unit at one time or the other. It seems this piece lacks a frequency range that would have lit that one light on each unit that never seems to light.

I love the concept. I have always enjoyed music visualization. So maybe your site could feature a tune or three?

The video is well done also. Good work!

the video (and the sketch i put on on the page) only maps the reading of the ADC to the blue LED. The green and the red are set to be scaled much lower. I later added more logic to cycle through the different colors as well as do various effects between each cycle. Unfortunately the video doesn't represent the visualization well.

here is the second program - http://jarv.org/blinkm-music.shtml#program2

Initially was thinking about creating a spectrum analyzer effect by doing ffts on the input but I think with just 4 LEDs (or 12 with the different colors) it probably isn't worth the effort.

Seems like music comes from a mono input. But powered by USB.
You could take advatage of the computer and get quallity frequency if you 're not dependant upon the mono input much.

You may have seen this:

If not it could help.
:smiley: ;D Cool project btw.

it's powered by USB but only for convenience since i happen to have a USB plug that can provide power (not a computer)
yeah i was looking around and saw some interesting ideas for visualization using a computer, i definitely wanted to make this a standalone thing since i have different djs switching off and not all of them will be using a computer to play music.

i updated the page with a better video of the visualization, it also shows how the new software cycles through different colors.

Nice work Jarv!

I'm a first year computer science major and I received a small research grant from USC to build something very similar to your visualizer. I submitted a parts list to the school three months ago that included a BlinkM MaxM, a Lucite case, and an arduino mega. I was blown away when I found this thread!

The only way my project differs is that I'm going to calculate frequency/pitch of the incoming analog audio signal and have the BlinkMs flash for certain notes. I'm trying to make it all standalone, so all of the processing is done on the arduino. I've more or less given up on using an FFT.... a lot of people have done it, but it's over my head right now. I'm not concerned about getting the exact frequency, I just want to hit the general ball park. I'm thinking about using part of Tony Chi's guitar tuner code to find the frequency. I just need it to be fast and somewhat accurate.

I just wanted to say thanks for posting your code. It was very helpful to analyze it and see what was happening. :slight_smile:

hello, what is the nature of the signal going from the arduino to the blink packs? is it the standard plus 5v? i am asking this because i am unfamiliar with these blink units. could i just take the out put and wire in a transistor and power many LEDs?
thanks!

This does not include decoupling capacitors, don't forget them!

Who must this capacitors placed in the circuit ?