Problem uploading to board.

I just installed the Arduino software on to my windows 7 computer to start working on a project. To familiarize myself with the software, I uploaded the basic "blink" example. When I upload the code to my device the error message:
"avrdude: ser_open device "\.\COM1": The system cannot find the file specified."
appears.

After that it tells me:
"Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions."

I went to that page and read all the way through their troubleshooting options. I see one option is to check that the proper port is selected in the Tools>Serial Port menu. For whatever reason I'm not able to click on the port option under 'Tools'. I have tried restarting the IDE with the board connected and that still did not do anything. Can anyone offer advice on what I could try?

Thanks,
-Erich

1 Like

Im guessing you have an arduino clone?
It looks like your computer is not recognizing the clone. You need a driver for whatever serial chip is in the board. If you have a genuine arduino it should be recognized by your computer without the need for a driver.

I'm currently working with the Arduino Uno and and the Arduino Motor Shield.

You are currently working on cross-posting, that much is clear.

I apologize. Can you offer me any help Mr. Gammon?

Post a link to where you got the board from, that way we can identify which drivers you need for the USB to serial chip on the board. (If you don't have a port under tools->port then the drivers are not there)

This is where I got my board from

OK... So try with nothing but the computer connected to the Uno. (Which is a genuine Arduino R3)

Start by checking under tools->port with the board not plugged in.

Then check tools->port with the board plugged in.

I suspect that you will get no new port indicating that there is a driver issue, in which case check this article in getting started here, and pay particular attention to the driver section.

hi there,
i just bought ArduinoUNO R3 a couple of hours ago from a local electronic store, i have the same problem, : Problem uploading the board..when i try to click verify it pop-up a window that says " Uncertified Board".. please tell me what to do.. i really appreciate your help.. thanks.. by the way i installed it on windows 7..

Regards,
Rudolf

rudolfsilao:
hi there,
i just bought ArduinoUNO R3 a couple of hours ago from a local electronic store, i have the same problem, : Problem uploading the board..when i try to click verify it pop-up a window that says " Uncertified Board".. please tell me what to do.. i really appreciate your help.. thanks.. by the way i installed it on windows 7..

Regards,
Rudolf

Rudolf,

the message "uncertified board" doesn't means that the board doesn't function.
The message is due to the Arduino dispute from the founders.
You can remove the "uncertified message" if you prefer, ( it should be available a flag " don't show me again").
Are you able to upload the skecth ?
Paco

Hey!

Similar problem for me with my Arduino Uno. :frowning:

It has worked before, but now the program can't find the com port (and the button is grey).

The error i get:
"avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1":"

When I check it in the Control Panel -> Device Manager, it says that something is wrong, but it also says that the latest version of driver already is installed when i choose to update from the Arduino folder.

Things i've tried:

-Restart computer, with and without Arduino connected.
-Remove and re-install Arduino software 1.6.3
-Remove and re-install driver. (Downloaded from Arduino.cc)
-Change usb-port.

Since the button is grey i guess it still ha something to do with the driver even if i have the latest version.

What have i missed?
Thankful for any help i can get.

Edit:
Yes, i've already read this several times.
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload

And i use Windows 7.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with my Uno on my laptop with windows 8.1.

The board works perfectly on the desktop but the port selection is greyd out with or without the board connected.

I have re installed and re installed Arduino 1.6.3 and drivers

Any ideas please

Philjann:
Hi

I have exactly the same problem with my Uno on my laptop with windows 8.1.

The board works perfectly on the desktop but the port selection is greyd out with or without the board connected.

I have re installed and re installed Arduino 1.6.3 and drivers

Any ideas please

Do you use the same USB as you did the first time you installed the driver?

I did a beginners mistake myself yesterday.
Didn't get my arduino to work and i also checked the connection from cable-> USB and cable-> Arduino.. but i use an adapter cable and the connection between the two cables were a bit loose.

The Arduino did get power and worked fine, but i couldnt send files to it.

As i said, beginner mistake, but maybe it will help someone who reads this thread. :slight_smile:

After hitting the upload button, you are goint to see the message 'uploading sketch..' then 'uploading..'. When you see the 'uploading..' message just hit the reset button on Arduino board.
That works for Arduino pro mini.

What is this to do with this thread "Re: Problem uploading to board."?

I have the following issue with my Arfuino UNO:
I am trying to download my schetch which has gotten to a size of

"Sketch uses 28.974 bytes (89%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32.256 bytes.
Global variables use 833 bytes (40%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1.215 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2.048 bytes. "

then it try to write to it:

Writing | #################################################avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I suspect that the problem is the size of the sctech. I tried to minimize it but that's the best i could do (28.974 bytes)
Can any one help me with this. Has anybody faced the same issue before?

You may have to run the Arduino IDE as Admin (root for Linux & Mac), that solved my problem (Arduino Uno)

I also have the same issue I bought an arduino starter kit recently . I upload the blink sketch it worked properly . I used arduinodroid on android 4.1.2 jelly bean on my Lenovo idea tab a1000g .I did some starting projects from the starter kit it worked properly . then I tried to do Crystal ball project when I tried to upload it says #################################################avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
Problem uploading to board.and the app crashes.Any suggestions I'm a beginner ........

Hi, i think i had yor same problem,
i solved disconnecting usb power, while is off connect usb cable keeping reset button down
keeping reset button down upload the "blink sketch" and leave reset button.
(you have to try maybe more times to get the right timeto match the reset but it works

Ciao!

Hi,
I'm having the exact same problem as crissferns and thermike.
I have done a lot of research but unfortunately I don't have a solution yet. However, thermike I do know that the size of the sketch is not related because I have tried to upload many other sketches, even empty sketches, and those don't work either. Furthermore, I found out that is not a problem with the board itself because I have tried to upload a sketch to other boards but the same error appears.

Resetting the Arduino as dottornegroni recommended didn't work for me :frowning:

Have you found a solution?