Option to bypass "Processing -> C++" pre-processor

No, of course not. But as there are degrees of evil, there are degrees of imperfection.

I probably should say, just to establish a bit of context, that I've dealt with many, many different development environments over the years, ranging over all sorts of hardware. The Arduino IDE was in no way the worst I've dealt wth. But very far from the best as well. (In fact, to be honest, it really does rank down there in the suckiness stakes. But I have dealt with worse.)

On a more positive note, there are many things apart from the IDE that I like about the Arduinos very much. I love the bootloader and the plug-and-play USB programming model. (I grew up with the old school development boards that you spent about a week getting set-up to get to "hello world" with. Intel, then Motorola, then MIPs.) I like the Atmel mega chips. I love the wealth of 3rd party libraries that means that just about any device you can think of interfacing with an Arduino probably has at least some basic code already available for it.

Which is why, overall, I am an Arduino fan.

But I am not a programming novice. I've been programming in C before there was even ANSI C, much less C++. Arduinos are for beginners. Fine. But I see no reason they have to be only for beginners.

So no, I don't expect "perfect" in a development environment. But emacs and gcc and make is pretty damned good, IMHO -- at least it's always something I've gotten along with. That's not to say "perfect". But, as they say, even the Sun has its spots. :slight_smile:

I'm glad there are options for those with differing tastes. Perhaps we can agree to agree on this.