Go Down

Topic: Using a 4 pin serial LCD with a 3 pin connector? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Nevalite

Hello,

I have the Seeduino serial LCD http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Grove_-_Serial_LCD_V1.0

This LCD has 4 wires connected to it: VCC, GND, RX, TX

I have an arduino shield (CAN bus shield) which has an LCD connection on it, I would like to connect my LCD. The problem is that this shield has only 3 connections for the LCD. I followed the traces and it is VCC, GND and digital 6.

From my understanding I should be able to connect the VCC, GND and then the digital 6 on the shield to the RX of the LCD and it should work. It does not work.

I tried connecting the LCD straight to the arduino only using the VCC, GND and connecting RX of the LCD to a digital pin, it does not work. However if I connect the TX of the LCD also to a digital pin, then it works.

It makes sense because in my code using SoftwareSerial you need to specify both RX and TX pins in the code...

Code: [Select]
SerialLCD slcd(0,1)  /// (RX,TX)

How could I go about using only 3 wires on the this LCD? What do I set the RX pin to in the code (TX of the LCD) if it is not connected?

Thanks

floresta

I have an arduino shield (CAN bus shield) which has an LCD connection on it, I would like to connect my LCD.

A link to the documentation for this shield would be appropriate.

Don

Go Up