ATmega328P programming using AVRISP mkII & Arduino IDE

When programming the ATmega328P utilizing the AVRISP mkII via Arduino IDE, which board do you choose in Tools>Board when uploading the program to the ATmega328P breadboard? I am using the latest version of Arduino IDE.

Regards,
Greg

greg3000:
When programming the ATmega328P utilizing the AVRISP mkII via Arduino IDE, which board do you choose in Tools>Board when uploading the program to the ATmega328P breadboard? I am using the latest version of Arduino IDE.

Regards,
Greg

You need to choose a board that uses the same chip (328p in your case) and clock speed as your breadboard hardware is using.

Lefty

That's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure...Thanks, Lefty!

But using, for example, the standard "Arduino Uno", it will try to upload via serial to a bootloader. I create entries in boards.txt for ICSP programming, like below. Different programmer but should be same approach with an AVRISP mkII.

m328p16.name=ATmega328P ICSP @ 16MHz
m328p16.upload.using=usbtinyisp
m328p16.upload.maximum_size=32768
m328p16.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
m328p16.bootloader.high_fuses=0xde
m328p16.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
m328p16.build.mcu=atmega328p
m328p16.build.f_cpu=16000000L
m328p16.build.core=arduino
m328p16.build.variant=standard

Thanks for that info Jack. Exactly what I was looking for!

Best Regards,
Greg

But is that change to boards.txt even required these days now that the arduino IDE has the option of 'upload using programer' in the files menu? That seems to overide the default method stated in the boards.txt file even for the entries using bootloaders.

retrolefty:
But is that change to boards.txt even required these days now that the arduino IDE has the option of 'upload using programer' in the files menu? That seems to overide the default method stated in the boards.txt file even for the entries using bootloaders.

Sheesh, thanks for waking me up, Lefty! :blush: