broken light sensor

Hello,

I have a broken qre113 light sensor that suddenly stopped working. It was working fine, and then all of a sudden it started outputting a analog value of 0. Every once in a while it will spike up to 10, but it's spikes are seldom and random. I know that the sensor is probably unfixable, but I want to know what happened so I don't repeat the mistake. (if it was my fault) Also, I know it is hooked up/programed right because when I test another sensor in its place it works fine. I have the output connect to A5, 5v to 5v, and GND to GND on my Arduino.

Thanks!

Sounds like a bad connection to +5V or possibly the analog signal. Do the spikes happen more often if you move the circuits or flex the circuit board? Check your wires.

Check that the emitter side is still working by looking at the IR LED with the viewfinder of your digital camera.

This is really strange. I just plugged it in and now its outputting 1000-1015. I tested the connections with a multi-meter and its getting 5v in and sending over 4v out. It does not matter what color paper its facing its always between 100-1015. If i press very firmly on the actual sensor it drops down to about 40. I looked through my iPad camera and I't looks the same as it would with out the iPad camera. Remember i'm not trying to fix it but learn how to not break anymore!

I contacted spark fun and they have know Idea why it broke.

Thanks!

If i press very firmly on the actual sensor

That is bad wiring / soldering.

Thank you! Knowing that I was actually able to fix the sensor by re-soldering the sensor back to the breakout board. I'm just glad it was not something i did.

Thanks!