How to get Parallax PMB-648 GPS module working with Arduino UNO?

How can I get Parallax PMB-648 GPS module to work with Arduino UNO? The GPS module works fine with Basic Stamp 2.

How did you connect it?

I followed the tutorial at http://learn.parallax.com/kickstart/28500 but the Serial Monitor displayed "Reading GPS" and won't display the coordinates.

jeffmorris:
I followed the tutorial at http://learn.parallax.com/kickstart/28500 but the Serial Monitor displayed "Reading GPS" and won't display the coordinates.

Try this to see what data, if any, is arriving from the GPS:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial nss(6, 255);            // Yellow wire to pin 6

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  nss.begin(4800);
  Serial.println("Reading GPS");
}

void loop() {
  if (nss.available()) {
    Serial.write(nss.read());
  }
}

I still have problems getting Parallax PMB-648 GPS module to work with Arduino UNO. If I try to upload code to Arduino UNO while the GPS module is connected to it, I get messages related to COM ports in use. If I try to compile code that uses TinyGPS library, I get messages saying that TinyGPS and gps are not declared. How can I fix the problems?

jeffmorris:
If I try to compile code that uses TinyGPS library, I get messages saying that TinyGPS and gps are not declared. How can I fix the problems?

Use Google to find the TinyGPS Library. Download it and install it.

There's a tutorial at Arduino Playground - GPS and the GPS module have four wires connected to the Arduino UNO. Two wires from the GPS module are connected to Gnd on Arduino UNO. There appear to be a conflict between GPS module and Software Serial. The Serial Monitor is stuck at "Receiving GPS". Any suggestions?

jeffmorris:
Any suggestions?

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  nss.begin(4800);
}

void loop() {
  if (nss.available()) {
  }
}

John, I finally got it working! I found out that I had to disconnect the yellow wire from the Arduino UNO before uploading the code to it and run Serial Monitor, then connect the yellow wire to the Arduino Uno.

Good day!
Is it possible to use Arduino Mega instead of Ardino Uno? To be honest I tried to use Mega with serial pin dig 15 (RX) instead of dig pin 6 in Uno... But Nothing ( I didnt get data . If I use with Uno and pin 6 I can get data.... If somebody knows what is the problem...pls help

To connect the Arduino mega to the PMB 648.

https://www.roboticboat.uk/ArduinoMegaGPS.html

johnwasser:

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  nss.begin(4800);
}

void loop() {
  if (nss.available()) {
  }
}

This works I'm able to receive data is there a way to hook this up to a mega though?
The above link is dead.
Thanks in advance