How to hack an RC chinese tank??

Hi all,

it's my first post in this section of the forum so Hello world! I'm a total newbie in the electronic world but thanks to arduino i'm discovering a whole new and interesting world :slight_smile:

For my project i need to hack a chinese RC tank (1/16 scale) that uses a non standard radio gear.
Inside the tank there is a receiver and a multi function unit(MFU) that are linked by 3 wires: two of the wires are for the alimentation of the RX and the remaining wire is for sending the received commands to the MFU. This wire is what i need to hack
The radio transmitter is like a standard 4 channels + 3 extra button for special function.
Searching the net i've found that the "communication protocol" between the RX and the MFU must be something like the one i've attached to this message.
My target is to replace the stock RX with a standard one using arduino to "translate" the standard commands into the MFU language.
How can i read the original commands from the stock RX with arduino??
Once that i've readed the commands how can I replicate with arduino to the MFU??

thanks in advance for any help!!

bye

Stefano

Zm62134.pdf (14.1 KB)

Looking at the stock receiver it uses an LM358 to generate the signal that go to the MFU. This info can be helpfull?

The LM358 is often used as a buffer or amplifier. It can be used to protect the RX or it can be used to raise a voltage level up to a usable level. Without seeing the complete LM358 I would be guessing it's purpose.

Your data that is in the PDF looks very helpful. What I don't see or have not figured it out is: what is the baud rate, parity, stop bit, and start bit counts. Serial communication has parameters that must be correct for one device to understand the other.

Hi cyclegadget,

it is possible to "read" the output of the LM358 with the arduino linking the communication wire to a pin (analog pin i presume)? with which function?
thanks again

edmond_dantes:
Hi cyclegadget,

it is possible to "read" the output of the LM358 with the arduino linking the communication wire to a pin (analog pin i presume)? with which function?
thanks again

The first requirement is that the voltage must be positive in relation to ground and 5volts or less. I would check it with a volt meter before hooking your Arduino to it.

Given your data shown, it sounds like the output of the 358 is serial communication. As said before, I don't know baud rate and other parameters. If you can you need to find out how other people have connected to the device to get their information.

Good luck!

Maybe there is something in this thread that can help you. http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,71374.0.html

Thanks cyclegadget, i know the works of Paul and i've already contacted him.
Now i'm studying about serial communication.

A few weeks ago I saw a props guy at robins hobby trying to do the same exact thing... Was that you?
Have you considered maybe gutting it and connecting an arduino and motor driver in its place with a futaba receiver? I've done it using the wild thumper board from spark fun. It has an hbridge driver to run your tanks two dc motors and an arduino to receive the receivers signals and run the motors plus all of the standard arduino outputs for the other switched functions

Hi,

Some of the posts here might be useful, particularly if I understand correctly that you intend to replace the transmitter and receiver with standard RC Parts ?

Controlling tank tracks -

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

This link should help you understand who the RC works and whats in the single line between the RX and the decoder.http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/norcimradiocontrol/Radio6.htm

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/norcimradiocontrol/Radio6.htm

Mark

If you have something like a logic analyzer or a osciloScope/DSO would probably shorten your work as well ! I have done the same, to a RC car and ended up replacing the whole receiver as well as they were using these mad receivers ( plus the car had a lot of sensors and tricks i wanted to reuse in different ways, like bumper/hit sensors, and IR receivers, etc)

I found this on how to hack the card with an Arduino.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/705844:BlogPost:38393

Mark

The original poster has not posted since May, but here goes anyway:
If you are talking about Hen Long RC Tanks, these files might help:

HL Rx13#.pdf (144 KB)

HL TKtx11p.pdf (143 KB)

Wi59569.pdf (113 KB)

And these:

Kf14318.pdf (143 KB)

Tk76799.pdf (32.8 KB)

Vs55558 TK RX14.pdf (204 KB)

Wi59569.pdf (113 KB)