Go Down

Topic: Due/Ethernet shield startup fail (Read 564 times) previous topic - next topic

SurferTim

I've been playing with the Due and ethernet shield for a couple days, and have noticed something wrong. Apparently the ethernet shield voltage regulator does not allow the 5 volt rail to rise fast enough to start the Due correctly, and it locks up if you don't reset the Due with the serial monitor or press the reset button.

I'm going to try designing a reset delay circuit with a LM311 to prevent the lockup. Has anyone else experienced this kind of fail with other shields?

I presume the wifi shield will cause this fail also.

Palliser

Hello SurferTim,

I've been testing Due with official Arduino Ethernet shield and Arduino Ethernet library for a couple of years and I have never experienced your startup issues. What library/code/example are you using? Regards,

SurferTim

IDE v1.6.4. Standard ethernet library.

It is not an ethernet library problem as far as I can tell. It happens only on a cold startup without using the serial monitor. When I open the serial monitor, it leaps to life. If I press the reset button, it leaps to life. If I don't, it won't start. It looks like it starts ok, but no response.

If I cold start this code, the LED does not blink with the ethernet shield attached. It does if not attached. Open the serial monitor or press the reset, and it starts fine.
Code: [Select]
void setup() {
  pinMode(13,OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13,HIGH);
  delay(200);
  digitalWrite(13,LOW);
  delay(200);
}

Palliser

I haven't updated my IDE (still 1.5.8 until I finished a bulky project). I am far from my work bench but I could try with 1.6.4 tonight.

p

SurferTim

Insure it is a cold start for this test. Unplug the power to the Due for at least 10 seconds before restarting. Do not open the serial monitor. That send a reset signal to the Due and then it will start ok.

Palliser

Jun 10, 2015, 04:10 am Last Edit: Jun 10, 2015, 04:11 am by Palliser
Insure it is a cold start for this test. Unplug the power to the Due for at least 10 seconds before restarting. Do not open the serial monitor. That send a reset signal to the Due and then it will start ok.

Hello Surfer,
I just did the test with the Due and Ethernet shield using your example and everything is running OK..
I mean, after a cold power up, the LED 13 is blinking right away. I am not using an external power supply, only the USB power (programming or native). My pc has windows 7 x64 and IDE 1.6.4. Regards.

p

SurferTim

Jun 10, 2015, 04:40 am Last Edit: Jun 10, 2015, 04:48 am by SurferTim
I tried with usb power, a 7.5v 700ma wall wart, and a 12v 1A wall wart. No go on a cold start. :(

Thanks for trying it for me. Don't know what is different about my setup.

edit: I press the reset button or connect with the serial monitor, and away it goes, running normally.

I tested this with a Mega2560, and it cold starts fine with the same ethernet shield. Must be something malfunctioning on my Due.

Palliser

I assume your Due alone cold starts fine without the Ethernet shield. Am I right? If so, I'd recommend you to try connecting a small cap between the rst and gnd pins of the Ethernet shield. It's just a thought.

p

SurferTim

Here is something different. Now it is cold starting ok about half the time with the shield removed. Obviously a malfunction on my Due.

Go Up