Need help with a half H-Bridge

Hey fellow forum users,

I'm currently stuck with a project of mine.

I need to "brake" a motor or at least have him go reverse to make it stop when I want to.

In order to do so, I ordered this piece of equipment:

From what I know, this should be suited for my needs - driving a motor and stopping it.

But i'm at loss as to how I wire it up, since the regular H-Bridge has different markings to it's pins.

Do I need to add anything, such as a MOSFET or similar to get this working?

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

~ Carson

That's a MOSFET high-low driver, there are many such chips - follow the diagram in
the datasheet for driving two n-channel MOSFETs, and look for the relevant application
notes (as mentioned in the datasheet)

I can go into more detail later as have to go now, but try and track down the relevant
application note if you can, there's likely more detail of example uses.

I would really appreciate that since i'm terribly retarded when it comes to electronics, but this is the last piece of the puzzle.

I basically just need to know what goes where and if i have to add something.

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-978.pdf seems to be one of the relevant Application Notes.

The basic thing you have to be aware of with a driver like this is that you cannot drive
the output HIGH indefinitely because the bootstrap capacitor for the high side drive will
discharge. In fact you probably want to ensure the output is driven LOW for a few
microseconds at least once a millisecond to allow the bootstrap capacitor to recharge.

The driver chip has a very simple gate driver for the low-side MOSFET, as the various
system diagrams show.

There is an exactly similar driver stage for the high-side MOSFET, but this driver stage
rides the output of the MOSFETs (the source terminal of the top FET), jumping up and
down in voltage with it. The bootstrap capacitor keeps the gate drive 12V above the
output voltage, allowing the top side n-FET to be switched even when the output is
at the full power supply voltage - the positive side of the bootstrap cap will be 12V above
that.

To keep this cap charged the output must be brought down to 0V often enough to allow
the bootstrap to recharge from the 12V rail via the diode.

The other cunning bit of circuitry in such a driver is the level shifter which allows
a logic level signal to control the high-side gate driver (even if its at 600V). Its
a high voltage low current differential amplifier driving a flip-flop. Don't worry about
this, it just works like magic.

I need to "brake" a motor or at least have him go reverse to make it stop when I want to.

This is a rather conceptually poor concept, and would depend a lot on what sort of motor you have.

In general, trying to drive a motor in reverse to make it stop, won't work and will probably break something.

For motors driven by an H-bridge, you "brake" them, not by just turning off the power ( they will coast to a stop ), nor by trying to drive them in reverse. You brake them by turning on the bottom half of both sides of the H, or by turning on both sides of the top half of the H. But never, the top and bottom half of the same side of the H !

The reason this brakes the motor, is because when you connect both sides of the motor to the same side of the power supply, you create a path for circulating current which isn't driven by the actual power supply, but by the residual inertia of the motor. This dissipates the rotational energy of the motor faster than simply turning the power off does.

If you have a driver and supply able to supply enough current (and a motor
that isn't destroyed by twice stall current) then driving it in reverse will make
it brake much more rapidly.

Large motors will, in general, not tolerate the currents involved though, but small
motors and servomotors usually can. A high performance servomotor is habitually
driven hard like this to get rapid mechanical response to the control input.