Using Atmel Studio 6 with Arduino Boards

Have you ever had the feeling that you're starting to get lost in Arduino IDE as your projects grow in size?
Are you a fan of advanced and more convenient IDEs?
Do you want to include pure C/C++ or assembler in your Arduino boards or Arduino projects for personal convenience or performance issues?
Or maybe you're just curious and like to consider alternatives.

Whichever the case, we developed a step-by-step tutorial that will guide you and show you how to use Arduino boards (Part 1) and Arduino language (Part 2) with the new Atmel Studio 6!

Part 1: http://www.jayconsystems.com/tutorial_detail.php?tid=7
Part 2: http://www.jayconsystems.com/tutorial_detail.php?tid=8

jayjay1986:
Are you a fan of advanced and more convenient IDEs?

Nah, I'm a fan of primitive and more convenient IDEs: I finally resorted to replacing the entire AVR toolchain with shell scripts that logged the arguments and invoked the original tool so I could turn the log into a makefile :-).

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try as I like the new AVS6 although I've been pretty happy just using makefiles as well.

Rob

Hey Calghorn, do you have a tutorial or something to show how to do this? Would love to see this method since I have never tired it.

Your welcome Graynomad! Hope you like it!

Jay

jayjay1986:
Hey Calghorn, do you have a tutorial or something to show how to do this?

I have a directory named /zooty/arduino/dummy and I put it at the front of $PATH. In that directory I have symlinks with the names of all the AVR tools (avr-c++, etc) to this script:

#!/bin/bash
#
myname=`basename $0`
myfile=`date '+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S-%N'`
echo dummy $myname invoked `date` >> /zooty/arduino/dummy/$myfile.out
echo arguments are: >> /zooty/arduino/dummy/$myfile.out
for i in "$@"
do
   echo '>>'$i'<<' >> /zooty/arduino/dummy/$myfile.out
done
exec /usr/bin/$myname "$@"

I then run the IDE from a terminal where I set $PATH as above and when I build a sketch, I see exactly what arguments the IDE invoked all the tools with in the log files that are generated in the same /zooty/arduino/dummy directory.

We have been working on another approach to this using a free tool called MegunoLink. Check it out here if your interested megunolink.com. It also has built in tools for serial monitoring and logging to a textfile. As well as tools for plotting data in real time.

I have created an installation script to install Arduino libraries and project templates in Atmel Studio 6. The installation is a zip file with an install.bat script. After the installation is completed developers enjoy the following functionality;

1- Arduino sketch project template to do File\New\Project\Arduino Sketch
2 - Arduino library project template
3 - One click deployment using avrdude
4 - Access to all Arduino libraries distributed with the IDE as binaries.
5 - A solution with projects for all Arduino libraries to re-deploy as needed.

For a full tutorial of how to configure the installation script for your environment read this post at my blog.

This installation script should be of help to developers transitioning out of the Arduino IDE.

Does a calculus program made under atmel studio will run faster than a program made under arduino IDE?

for instance, if generating a list of some prime numbers took 2 minutes when programmed with arduino IDE , will it take much less if the same (or equivalent) program is burned into the atmel chip after programming it in atmel studio?

I am interested in execution speed thank you!

Try it and see.

I'm brand new to everything Arduino (and IDE's) and this Forum, so please excuse any unintended goofs I make!

My goal is to be able to program in Assembler with a "proper" Assembler IDE.
(I used to write device drivers in ASM decades ago and saw nothing particularly unusual in this need???)

So I began walking through a learning curve:

I successfully tried out the Arduino IDE (The "Blink" sketch worked just fine!). But full ASM support wasn't claimed or expected (no problem with that...)

So I loaded up Atmel Studio 6.
Then all my problems began.

It was difficult to do "what it said on the label", namely DOWNLOADING to my standard, mass-market UNO, after compilation.
That "ASM" didn't work "out-of-the-box", at least with the Market Leader, start-to-finish, was quite amazing!!!

Then I read about Visual Micro which claimed to make everything easy and automatic - a complete, usable, IDE based on Atmel Studio 6 with their plug-in. It seemed to cater for ASM.... but it didn't!
All it seems to do is make working and downloading with sketches transportable from Arduino IDE to Studio 6 IDE.
Conclusion - for would-be ASM programmers, Snake Oil. But you get what you pay for and it was Free....

So, unless someone can show me a simple way to make ASM work (including download to a UNO) on Studio 6, I'm consigned to programming entirely via "sketches" (C/C++ has little attraction for me, I'm a hardware/ASM person!)

I might just as well flip back to The Arduino IDE, unless someone out there can help?

Google searches have been fruitless, but that might be that I'm not using the correct keywords I suppose.... as you probably can see by now, I find it incredible that programming in Assembler (and downloading the code into a UNO) isn't easily possible!

Anyways,
All attempts at rescue are warmly welcomed.
AdonisTheFirst

Hello everyone,

Love the tutorial thanks however I am stuck on something... I want to use the Arduino due.... I tried fallowing the tutorial except in mind of its micro so starting the project for the micro as well as looking first for any .c or .h files i need where the newer ide's have the SAM stuff...

I tried this a long time ago and didn't get far but now iv gotten a lot farther and have been correcting errors but if anyone has a tutorial on doing his or if they can help it would be greatly appreciated.