Arduino powered fan

Hello,
I have a need to make a fan to cool my xbox and wanted to know how to have code to have the fan run from a three-way switch and then help setting up the board so I don't fry it. Can you guys out there please help?

yes, if you have questions we can help you find the answers. it would help us if you include more details: which fan, externally powered or USB, why a three way switch?

A CPU fan. Powered by USB. Off, Low, High

teke115:
A CPU fan. Powered by USB. Off, Low, High

Where the Arduino come into play?
Do you need arduino to control the 3 way switch?

CPU fans are small, not a lot of money, don't draw much power. What are you afraid of "frying"? Open it up, find a suitable power connection and hook it up.

RWW

I don't think an arduino digital pin has enough power to drive a fan, however small. A direct connection would risk frying the chip.

teke115:
Can you guys out there please help?

The Arduino won't "power" a fan. It could control it, via suitable hardware. But in this case it seems you're planning to control it via a switch. I don't see any need to use an Arduino for what you're trying to achieve.

I meant like a temperature-controlled switch. And how would I set up the fan to external power so I don't fry the Arduino

Is there something else you're not telling us about your project ? :smiley:

Have you tried searching the forum for things like "fan control", "pwm fan" ?

No. I just figured I would post something to ask people's advise

Ah, ok. Well, you've got mine: search, read, come back asking about what you didn't understand.