Creating a finished product

Where there is a will, there is a way. Your thoughts are doable. First, you would need to build a functioning prototype. This will give the components necessary to build into your final product. Then, I would design and fab a custom PCB. Eagle is the common design platform that most hobbyist use. Then you would send the design files to a fab house that can produce your board. Then it is up to you to design and fabricate the final enclosure. There are literally dozens of sites that can help you through the process.

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/

I seem to have misplaced my bookmarks for enclosures.. I know someone here will post it.

I can tell you that you will need patience. If you are just starting out, then learn while your building the project. I got into Arduino and electronics about 6 months ago and I am only a quarter of the way finished with my project of an interactive humanoid robot. But your project seems doable if you have the will to learn. Any questions you can't find, ask here. That is what this forum is all about. Look around, read some posts.