The 1284P, a sleeping beauty on a $9 UNO size board?

mrburnette:

bperrybap:
Just ordered a Sleeping Beauty.
I'll be using it to test out my openGLCD library on several different IDEs, including pre 1.0 and 1.5.x
So Jack, I'll be joining you and others over in your 1284p core thread, as soon as I get the board in.

--- bill

Bill, et al:
Is it feasible to run pre-1.0 on the 1284? We are having a discussion over on the 1284 side about 1.0.5r2 and 1.5.x as to where the effort should be places first. Nothing has been mentioned about pre-1.0 builds.
I must plead ignorance to the size of the pre-1.0 community that is still active.

Ray,
I'm going to answer this question in the other thread that Jack started since it is
delving into the core discussion rather than the discussion about the sleeping Beauty.
Also, having looked at the SB core files, I already see some changes in variant files that will
potentially create some issues including break some existing code, including some
of my code.
So see you on the other side...

--- bill

mrburnette:
I will call your attention to differences in pins_arduino.h ... the Bobduino and the Sleeping Beauty have a few differences! So, take notes.

Ray

I noticed that too.
The changes in Bobduino has the potential to break some peoples code, including breaking some
of my code.
The SB core It is also missing the avr-devlopers pin mapping variant.
So I'll be joining in the discussion about these kinds of things over in Jacks 1284p thread.

update:
I was referring to differences between the Bobuino variant file in the SB core vs the maniacbug core.

--- bill

My Sleeping Beauty BB board came in today.
And as an unexpected added bonus, a PI-Duino-BB PCB was tossed in.

So far I've been unable to locate any information on this board.
I'd like to find a schematic. I'm assuming it is something similar to the
chipkit pi
http://www.element14.com/community/community/knode/dev_platforms_kits/element14_dev_kits/microchip-chipkit/chipkit_pi

Anybody have any links for information on this board?

--- bill

IMG_6692.JPG

bperrybap:
My Sleeping Beauty BB board came in today.
And as an unexpected added bonus, a PI-Duino-BB PCB was tossed in.

So far I've been unable to locate any information on this board.
I'd like to find a schematic. I'm assuming it is something similar to the
chipkit pi
http://www.element14.com/community/community/knode/dev_platforms_kits/element14_dev_kits/microchip-chipkit/chipkit_pi

Anybody have any links for information on this board?

--- bill

bill,
I got one too, and Wayne told me in an email that he was not going to release the board... Something about perception in the RPi community. No document links but Wayne has beentraveling, returning yesterday. He may put something up, unsure. Give it a few days and shoot him an email. I have no particular interest in that board but I did get two Sleeping Beauty boards to go with my three Bobduinos.

Ray

Can't imagine why there would be a perception issue.
I'm guessing that it just an i/o board - If it is and anti-Arduino thing,
you don' have to use Arduino on it.
Could be good for offloading real-time i/o.
I'm pretty interested in the board.
I'm curious what goes the 28/30 pin dip spot.
I'll send him an email.

One bummer that I just noticed on the Sleeping Beauty BB is that
I can't use the ISP port with my existing 6 pin cable.
If you have keyed idx connectors, they don't fit because the ISP pins
are too close to the 1284 and the connector key prevents the cable
from being plugged in.

--- bill

from being plugged in.

I took a length of Dupont female cable and made an extension adapter.

It is for a Teensie ARM.

bperrybap:
Can't imagine why there would be a perception issue.
I'm guessing that it just an i/o board - If it is and anti-Arduino thing,
you don' have to use Arduino on it.
I'll send him an email.

from being plugged in.

--- bill

I had the same problem with trying to fit the six pin IDC connector from my USBasp programmer onto the bobrino board, just too close to the 1284P DIP socket. However just a little filling on the side on the connector made it a nice snug fit, and there seemed to be plenty enough meat on the connector end not to affect the integrity of the connector.

In terms of cores. The sleeping beauty files have issues.
There are some things that are just plain broken in the sleeping beauty variant file.
I guess I'll move it into Jacks latest 1284 core and then fix it and then do a pull request.
(I'm off to talk to folks in the other thread about accepting SB support in the 1284 core).

--- bill

I've corrected the issues in the SB variant file and now have my openGLCD library
up and running on the Sleeping Beauty BB board using the latest mighty 1284 core
that is currently being updated to latest 1.0.5 core.
--- bill

I ordered two SB's with the chip, and received them; however, I also received two empty PCB's labeled PI-DUINO-BB that are clearly not the same layout as the SB. I have searched the web, and the OP's website and can find no indication of what these additional boards are. Any one have any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind, I see the earlier post where this is board for the Pi, and the designer isn't planning on supporting it...

EDIT: Never mind, I see the earlier post where this is board for the Pi, and the designer isn't planning on supporting it...

And that is a mistake based upon an email exchange with Wayne... he does intend on supporting this board and I regret that I misread/misinterpreted his email which indicated he had changed his mind on some aspects, just not production and selling of same.

Regards,

Ray

The extra PCB is for the Teensy3 with RPI interface. The reason that I gave it out as a freebie is that if you even are not interested in the Teensy3, you may be able to use it next month as a fixture for a small application that I hope you may be interested. I should include a note, sorry for wasting your time. I will learn from this.

I will support the Pi-Duino-BB. Gerber files will be posted once it's finalized. Everyone can make it, but I am not interested in making it. I was thinking to sell it for $9 to help some users get up and running faster, but later changed my mind and would prefer to give it away for free, because I don't have enough free time in the near future.
The schematic and docs will be posted next week. I have a project deadline on June 14, sorry that I couldn't do it sooner.

Back to the SB-BB, Gerber files will be posted once it's finalized. I won't trade mark the SB, anyone can use it and make boards. If you want to sell boards please state clearly that they are not made by Firebirduino.
I discovered that many users on this forum still prefer through hole products, I will remove the FT231XS and replace it with a 6-pin FTDI connector on the next revision.
I will remove the 328P out of the SB, the 328P is not needed on a 1284P board if there is a demand for the 1284P. I feel there is a demand for the 1284P, thanks for the core refresh by Jack and others.

The original pin file developed by Roger Schaefer may have issues, but I ran some programs including DFrobot LCD and it was fine. Apparently it did not pass a more advanced test, like Bill's graphic LCD libraries.
Bill, thanks for the corrections.

Wayne

The Pi-Duino-BB schematic is now posted on http://www.rasmicro.com/Sleeping_Beauty/
Roger

Applying copper hobby tape to restrict crystal movement.

No tape needed on Bobuino/1284 boards ...

No tape needed on Bobuino/1284 boards ...

It's a coffee spewer response 4sure! I do love my Bobuinos. XD
Like, I could take the silly 3-pin socket off but it is actually not a bad idea for the one board I am using on the project bench... I'm thinking about popping in a 20MHz for play...
Maybe I need to buy one of your screw-down shields to use with the crystal connection ... just to be sure all is tight! :fearful:

Ray

The crystal is socketed so the user can easily experiment with different speeds, if they wish. I believe that Wayne is now using a socket with a tighter fit.
Roger

The two I received late last week have machine pin sockets and the crystal seems quite secure. If it turns into a problem, removing a three pin socket isn't too tough.

OldMicroGuy:
The crystal is socketed so the user can easily experiment with different speeds, if they wish. I believe that Wayne is now using a socket with a tighter fit.
Roger

Yes, like I said originally: "It is a two-edged sword." Some will think it a blessing, some a curse. For the bench, a socket is no big deal. For projects, it could be. Another issue would be serial resistance and the added inductance, although at 16MHz, this is likely no big deal.

My preference would be to have the SB done like the Bobduino... a high-quality 16.000MHz crystal soldered. Hackers would have no issue with desoldering and replacing the crystal. The "screw-down" was a me-to-Crossroads joke.

Ray

Too subtle for me - I have a revised original Bobuino design that I'm about to send off for boards, and it has screw terminals like a mega screw shield, but I hadn't posted any pics yet - glad you explained!