New to arduino need advice on Flexible 8x32 NeoPixel RGB LED Matrix

Hi, first of all I'm very new to arduino and programing one, in fact never done programing of any sort.

First of all I want to know will this do what I want it to do.

Here is the scenario, this is for show purpose only.

Ok I want this flexible led matrix to go in place of my rear lights in a show car (1 for each side), what I want to do is use the arduino to control each flexible led matrix.
I want the matrix to be all red for normal lights, and increase to maximum brightness when braking. Then I want a scroll effect of yellow/amber for turning signal left and right, then white for reverse. Also I want it to show up in letters on each matrix 'bye' when you put your foot to the floor (accelerate) hard.

I also want to be able to change the style of the lights with a push of a button (maybe 8 diffrent styles if possible.

I was wondering what I'd need in terms of what arduino would be able to cope with this program and what additional parts I'd need to do this.

Please remember I'm a total noob at this and need guidance if possible to what I want to do.

Thanks

Hi,

That is a lot of leds! Uno, or something similar like Nano 3, should be ok for this, although RAM memory will be tight. However, you will need a suitable external power supply. Those matrices will draw a lot of current, especially when full brightness white. Get a couple of 5V 15A stabilised or switch-mode supplies, or DC-DC converters and you can power the Arduino also through its 5V pin rather than the barrel connector.

Paul

I am also new to neopixels and do have the 8x32. A friend is more experienced with them, and she tried to run the neopixel strand test. I add the libraries suggested off of adafruit and still can't get and expected response. Also the matrix has one more input than expected. A cin that I think might be another ground. The wiring diagram from the manufactur is https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/LED/P256V5.pdf

The adafruit SMSsenger Bag example project has an 8x32, but it only has the expected Din, power and ground. So there had been a previous version

I would try the FastLED library over the Adafruit one. It has a smaller memory footprint and runs faster comms through the LEDs.

Agree that a Uno or Nano can do the job providing the coding is sensible and PROGMEM is used to store the required static data.

The fastLED library is not going to help you if you get nothing from the other one. You are doing something wrong. That matrix can draw a maximum of 15A is your power supply good enough? Have you fitted the resistor and capacitor?

I do have a power supply that can handle that much. I will get the cap and resistor hopefully tomorrow and see what happens. I have an 8x8 matrix i can cycle thru the neopixels, so i know my wiring and arduino are fine

I have an 8x8 matrix i can cycle thru the neopixels, so i know my wiring and arduino are fine

Would have been good to know that before.
Anyway now you seem to have successfully hijacked this thread, you might as well post the code to see if we can spot an error. Does the example programs that came with the library work with your hardware?

I will get the cap and resistor hopefully tomorrow and see what happens.

The absence of these doesn't stop it working, but having them their stops it from breaking your hardware.