New arduino website

Any updates? This thread has been buried for a while ;D.

Hmm yeah I was wondering when someone would ask me about it again. It has been up a few times in testing but I have unfortunately had a massive amount of other work to do so it has found a bit of a buried back seat recently.

I can stick it up if people would like to help me fill it...
It is a little empty at the moment but it could soon fill up with a bit of help.

I will hopefully (if nothing else gets in the way) be cutting some more acrylic soon and then the store can have something in it as well :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

I've checked the site a few times, but you didn't have it up at those times.

I'd love to help fill it in, but I don't know how helpful I could be ;D! I'd certainly try :).

hey

it's good to hear the comments about freeduino.org, since even though it gets about 19K uniques a month these days, people rarely suggest improvements. I'll add an alphabetical list for scrolling. Heck, maybe I'll even clean up the design! But of course it makes very little money, just enough to cover the hosting, so don't expect too much :slight_smile:

Daniel

PS: flipping back to the original discussion in this thread, afaik, and regardless of the Arduino suggested policy on using their name in domain names, it is entirely legal as far as I know to make new fan sites that use the Arduino name, as long as they are not capitalizing on the brand for commercial gain. Using Ford's trademarks as an example, see:

http://www.fordreallysucks.com/

See also "Using trademarks for commentary and criticism" at
http://www.citizen.org/litigation/briefs/IntFreeSpch/cases/articles.cfm?ID=14270

Arduino is also not a registered trademark yet, just a claimed trademark that is in wide use. This means things are pretty wide open in terms of its use, as it currently enjoys few legal protections.

it gets about 19K uniques a month these days

Something to aspire to on my website then :wink:

But of course it makes very little money, just enough to cover the hosting, so don't expect too much

Yes, I do have the added advantage of free hosting so it is only about £7 a year for the domain for me.

Arduino is also not a registered trademark yet, just a claimed trademark that is in wide use.

Yes I found that too but I thought it is probably better to not be 'arduino' based as there are a lot of non arduino boards (that use the arduino IDE) and I am not biased.

Mowcius

rewake...
anything happening? Didn't see it online.

Well, I hate to speak for Mowcius, but I think it's safe to say that he's a bit busy. Last I heard, he was working on getting some final versions of his Acrylic Covers cut out, and also working on filling up the site. I would think that it won't be too much longer, but can't say for sure, as I'm not Mowcius :).

Yeah I apologise to everyone for the massive delay. It has really been a long time hasn't it.

I have been rather more busy than I realised but I also agree with anyone who is thinking it is not a great excuse for saying everything and then taking ages to do anything!

As TchnclFl said, I am filling up pages, if a bit slowly.

ETA? Tonight maybe :slight_smile: It is still rather empty though but the basics are all there and once it's up it should be much faster to get it filled.

Mowcius

UPDATE:

The site is now live (well to be totally honest, the site was live before, just hidden in testing).

The site will probably be a bit slow for a few days as the server gets used to it (I dunno but it's always faster after a day or two) and the google site search will not work until google re-scans it with a bot (I have submitted it), not that you really need a search box at the moment!

There is not a massive amount on it, the shields list is almost finished, as is the hardware list. Everything else is looking a bit empty. Please use the contact page to send me anything or just to say hi so I know you've visited :wink:

There is limited stock available of the arduino duemilanove covers. Also there are some 20x4 LCD bezels and 16x2 LCD bezels as well as some Sparkfun USB Regulated Xbee board covers in the store.

Mowcius

Do you have a link for this new site? I was trying to scan through the thread but I must have skipped over it?

http://www.duinoaday.co.uk :wink:

Mowcius

The site looks real nice.
Clean and crisp.
If I ever finish the projects I'm working on, :-/ I'll submit some stuff to ya. ;D

Dan

The site looks real nice.
Clean and crisp.

Thanks,

At least it's not grey ;D

Mowcius

Woohoo ;D!

Stephen - Aka TchnclFl - has helped with numerous things!

:slight_smile: Thanks.

:wink: Well it's true...

Mowcius

Indeed. Just nice to be recognized :). I'm happy to help out any way I can :).

Very nice, clean design indeed. I like the logo as well. Good luck keeping the site alive, it's not an easy task but the rewards are... errr... rewarding :wink:

Very Nice site!

I browsed through your html source, found a few errors and confirmed them here:

http://www.websitecleanup.com/test.php

Although it's not much of a big deal because browsers correct these errors when we view them.

I was not able to hack your website. :frowning:

May i suggest changing the search box color or outlining it? on my screen it blends in with the background.

Out of curiosity, when you make small summaries of articles on the start page, do you type it into the html code? Or do you link it to a notepad doc.

Awesome website! :smiley:

Thanks for the heads-up on those errors. Yeah mainly little things thankfully and I will sort them as soon as I can.

do you type it into the html code?

At the moment, everything is either typed in html, the css or java. There are probably a few better ways to do it though.

May i suggest changing the search box color or outlining it? on my screen it blends in with the background.

Yes it does on mine as well but when I tried to outline it, it failed. Filling it a different colour just looks bad. I will look into it. Google hasn't searched the site yet so it doesn't do much at the moment anyway :wink: Ok, maybe google has searched it now, obviously overnight. Some things do not seem to come up yet still though.

Mowcius