Please consider using a Installer and Web Updater

I think others will love the idea of having a installer - like ArduinoIDE.exe that will install the software on the computer. Also, everytime the IDE it would check for updates in the background. Anyone agree?

I am not really sure but the installer for some reason sounds a good idea :roll_eyes:

Ske81:
I think others will love the idea of having a installer - like ArduinoIDE.exe that will install the software on the computer. Also, everytime the IDE it would check for updates in the background. Anyone agree?

Would be useful if it could actually be done. Keep in mind that the Arduino IDE is avalible for 3 different PC platforms, that would require a lot of extra work and testing with each new IDE release. And part of installation requires that a actual physical board gets attached to a PC at sometime and to know what kind of board is being attached. As far as I know there is no way for the software to know what type of board is trying to attach to a USB connection for the first time, so I don't think the Installer can be 100% automated and thus will always be subject to user error on first installation?

Lefty

What's wrong with unpacking a compressed file and launching an executable ? That's the most cross-platform idiot-proof methods of installation I can imagine.

It adds an extra layer of problems for some people. Just take a look into the issues forum (the first one), drivers, something wrong setting the exe, etc, are mainly the issues for Windows users.

I prefer to maintain control over what is installed in my environment. I really dislike automatic updaters. I don't even like the IDE phoning home to check for updates.

There have been enough backwards incompatibilities introduced in the release series that this would have been disastrous for my projects, at least.

I would strongly prefer that automatic updates and an installer not happen.

One man's opinion.

-br

billroy:
I prefer to maintain control over what is installed in my environment. I really dislike automatic updaters. I don't even like the IDE phoning home to check for updates.

There have been enough backwards incompatibilities introduced in the release series that this would have been disastrous for my projects, at least.

I would strongly prefer that automatic updates and an installer not happen.

One man's opinion.

-br

Yeah, I dislike automatic updates also (in fact, I forced them off in my installer, and it is the first thing I do after installing anything). And of course the files should be always be available without installer, a plain zip.

But I am talking about the main stream of people, they register an account here and the first post they make is to complain because something an automated setup would avoided. With some guy here we spammed the forum a lot like 2 months ago and almost every post ended by "download this...", usually they don't even reply to the post after the problem disappeared, but in conclusion I felt (maybe was an illusion) than our forum went a little more cleaner just because usually legacy users are the ones answering these repetitive questions over and over again.

eried:
It adds an extra layer of problems for some people. Just take a look into the issues forum (the first one), drivers, something wrong setting the exe, etc, are mainly the issues for Windows users.

Then ditch windows users ]:smiley:

(no wait, I'd hate living in a bunker...)

Eried, I have great respect for your work. I believe the problem you are pointing out is a real one, but I have a different view of the solution.

You know those signs at amusement park rides that say "you must be at least this tall…"? Someone who can't get through the IDE install is just going to hit the next brick wall at a higher rate of speed if you grease the first speedbump for them. If you've been reading around the forum lately, you'll know just what I mean.

My point being, you can't save the clueless from their cluelessness, and it's a social deadweight loss to inconvenience the competent in the attempt.

Just my two cents.

Holiday Best,

-br

I know billroy, it is often weird to thing that someone who can't install the ide will be able to program it, I didn't started to keep my mod updated for them, it is for other windows users, living with a slightly inferior version, an ugly icon, bt dongle delaying 30 secs every operation, small things like that.

Maybe some focus group or something is missing to check in the real world if people who can't set properly the environment from a zip are really able to use the arduino or no properly, at the end of the day the forum stays less filled with these kind of problems and some more interesting issues start to appear.

The most polite term for what I see going on is "Eternal September": Eternal September - Wikipedia

I honestly think the moderators should open a new "Whining" forum as a resting place for certain threads...

Cheers,

-br

Ske81:

Funny that those "hard use operating systems" like Linux already have this.....

But the way of doing it on Linux is that that OS has a tool to do it in a common way
that is outside the application vs having to put this type code into each and every single Application.

My concern is that trying to add something like this to the IDE to solve the issues/limitations in Windows
breaks it for those running more advanced operating systems.

Maybe for the Windows versions, the Arduino guys could put the IDE into the new Microsoft Win8 APP store.
Surely that interface provides for install/update capability?

--- bill

I don't even like the IDE phoning home to check for updates.

in your preferences.txt file set -> update.check=false

installer

why not ?

Eried has done a great job for windows,
I'm certain that the clever people here can make installers for other systems just as easily.

its that last step problem,
Im an engineer, and I hate documenting / I always want to get onto the next thing,

but come on Arduino team,

why not have seperate people responsible for each installer ?
see what open source can do.

You just can download the IDE zip and build an (.msi) installer for it. Who is holding you from doing it?

Hi

msi is windows is it not ?

I think Eried has windows well covered thanks,

The greatness in opensouce is not the fact that anyone can tell the developers what they should do. It's the availability of the code, and the fact that users can download code, improve it and publish it back without asking permission.

If you feel an msi would be a valuable addition to the project and have the skills to implement it, by all means do it and become its maintainer.

:smiley:

must be the time of year tuxduino,

I think windows is covered , Eried seems to do a great job on that,

you do seem 'focused' on msi files and windows in your comments,
which as I say seem to be covered,

I'm not focused on msi (I use linux as my main os). I took it just as an example.

You say

and my answer is: opensource does nothing per se, people do. Opensource is not about telling other people what they should do, but actually doing things (and feeling free to do so).

:slight_smile:

drjiohnsmith:
installer

why not ?

Eried has done a great job for windows,
I'm certain that the clever people here can make installers for other systems just as easily.

For for many of the other more modern operating systems it isn't necessary
as there is no need to have to do crazy stuff inside the application for installs & updates
like you have to do in legacy operating systems like Windows.
This is because the operating systems have a built in packaging system that handles
installs and updates for all the applications in common and consistent way that
does not require the actual application to be involved with the process.

So I think this is mostly an issue for Windows applications.

And even that problem might finally start to go away if there is a way to use the Microsoft
Widows 8 app store for "free" apps like the "Arduino" s/w.

why not have separate people responsible for each installer ?

Open source has already solved this problem.
On the "nix" based systems, which is just about all the other OSs out there
including OSX, a common installer is already provided by the OS
and already exists and works pretty well.

On debian based systems,
you can simply go to the package/software manager and install the "Arduino" package.
In the future, the update manager can notify you of an available update.
There is no work that needs to be done.

What might be useful is to have someone work closer with the repository maintainers
to get them updated with new Arduino releases sooner if there is a desire to push
out the newer Arduino releases sooner.

My view is that an Arduino library installer inside the IDE would be a much more useful
tool. Some kind of interface that would allow users to point at a library and then have the IDE
install the library in the proper location.
This is something that would be useful for all the OS's.

--- bill