Go Down

Topic: OttoDIY and Clone Nano (Read 392 times) previous topic - next topic

mbrzezowski

Jan 20, 2018, 01:38 am Last Edit: Jan 20, 2018, 03:38 am by mbrzezowski Reason: add link
I can't get the Otto DIY robot sketches to upload to my Nano.  When I try it starts to write and gets anywhere from 12-50% and then stops with a "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" error.

I was hoping to build a bunch of Otto robots with the students at my school.  I bought clone nanos on Amazon (eMakefun Nano) to keep the price down and I can't seem to figure out if my problem is due to being a clone or what.

I am on a mac running High Sierra and have used the Web and local version (1.8.6).  It took me a bit to get the right ch340 driver, but I finally got it connected.  I even powered it externally with Lion batteries in case it was running out of juice (doubtful because I don't have any sensors attached or anything yet).

Can anyone give me advice?  Is it simply an issue with a cheap clone with a cheap USB-Serial chip and I need to get real Arduinos for this project?

https://create.arduino.cc/editor/mbrzezowski/ee0a52cb-cc83-422a-a84e-29ced4b0ae9d

ieee488

To program it you shouldn't be needing Lion batteries or anything else.
Remove those!

The Arduino Nano will get enough from the USB connection.

Try a different Nano.
Try a different USB cable.

mbrzezowski

To program it you shouldn't be needing Lion batteries or anything else.
Remove those!
They were already removed.  I just tested that theory.

Try a different Nano.
Try a different USB cable.
So far I tried:

*  Two Nano's out of the pack of 5 (But limited testing of the second one.  I should have brought it home but I didn't.  I can get it tomorrow).
*  Three different USB cables
*  4 laptops (two version of Mac OS and two version of Windows)

I will update tomorrow if I get to work to pick up the other Nano's to try out.

mbrzezowski

Also, I can upload and get working small sketches like Blink.  I can make the onboard LED blink and modify delays to verify my sketch is indeed being uploaded and working.  It just fails on bigger ones part way through the upload.

ieee488

Without uploading your sketch, but just verifying your sketch in the IDE, do you get errors?

mbrzezowski

Without uploading your sketch, but just verifying your sketch in the IDE, do you get errors?

The sketches verify just fine.

I just got to work and tried two more Arduino's from the box and have the same problem.  They partially write the file to the Nano and then fail with "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

Mike

mbrzezowski

Here is the link to a video showing the upload process.  I had to hit the reset button to get it to connect partway through the process.

kprims

Jan 22, 2018, 06:23 pm Last Edit: Jan 22, 2018, 07:13 pm by kprims Reason: Added link.
I just watched your video and noticed you are losing the USB connection.

"/dev/cu.whusbserial1410": Resourse busy

I have no problem uploading the OTTO_avoid sketch after removing references to "LedMatrix".

Something is grabbing your USB connection. Find that and I think you will be good to go.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=336519.0

mbrzezowski

You are AWESOME!  "activhard" was using the port also (I still have to research what that is).  Once I killed the process the Sketch uploaded perfectly fine.

Time to finish the build of my first Otto now.

Thank you all for your help.  I am very happy I chose the Arduino platform to learn with my students on.

Mike

I just watched your video and noticed you are losing the USB connection.

"/dev/cu.whusbserial1410": Resourse busy

I have no problem uploading the OTTO_avoid sketch after removing references to "LedMatrix".

Something is grabbing your USB connection. Find that and I think you will be good to go.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=336519.0

ieee488

There is no such thing as 'activhard' that I could find on Google.

There is an ActivCard USB card reader.

mbrzezowski

activhard   752  mrb    3u      CHR               21,7        0t8        699 /dev/cu.wchusbserial1420

ieee488

Jan 23, 2018, 06:58 pm Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018, 06:58 pm by ieee488
activhard   752  mrb    3u      CHR               21,7        0t8        699 /dev/cu.wchusbserial1420

And that tells you you have some sort of usb serial device usually related to CH340 chip
Don'd you know what you have?

mbrzezowski

And that tells you you have some sort of usb serial device usually related to CH340 chip
Don'd you know what you have?

Yes, the boards I have are running the CH340 chip, that I am sure of.

When the "activhard" app was running and accessing the usb device I could not properly upload a sketch unless it was REALLY tiny.

After killing the process, I can now upload all sketches successfully.

mbrzezowski

I figured out FINALLY what the "activhard" process was that kept stealing my USB port.  It is the Promethean Activboard Smartboard software.

I removed it and all is well and moving forward now. 

Thank you all for your help.  I am now finally making projects and putting together curriculum ideas for my students. 

I am hoping to get some basic kits together with sensors for the 7th and 8th grade students to build some data logging hardware.

Thanks again,

Mike

Go Up