Go Down

Topic: BMP 280 exact Altimeter readings.  (Read 175 times) previous topic - next topic

tiger369

Hi,

I was just going through this pressure sensor tutorial.

What I want to know is how can I set the exact altimeter in my readings depending upon my different geographical place ? or may be if I am attaching the sensor to my balloon.

floresta

If you get your answer at StackExchange make sure you let us know (and vice versa).

Don

jremington

In order to calibrate the BMP280 to give correct relative altitude readings, you need to know the actual altitude at some point. Some other means to determine altitude must be used.

Pressure sensors must be recalibrated very frequently.

tiger369

ya, I did post same question at StackExchange also to get different views on same topic. till now I got following answer from Mr. Jose. This seems quite logical.Will work on it.

The tutorial sample source code has the line:

Serial.print(bmp.readAltitude(1013.25)); // this should be adjusted to your local forcase

That 1013.25 value should be the local pressure at sea level in hundreds of Pa. If want to show altitude above ground level, you will need to know that for your location and write your code to calculate the altitude offset.

The sensor can't know location -- it only measures pressure. The AdaFruit library provides the altitude conversion, but being generic, it relies on several assumptions.

Go Up