Serial oscilloscope

I'm unfortunately not at the moment checking issues because my first problem now requires to have clear instructions on how to compile arduino code, java code on my iMAc G5 running with Tiger :frowning:

If your first problem has already been encountered by other users, checking issues may avoid you to search the problem on your side but shows directly that the software installation is not good at all (and it seems).

Whatever, I can explain what I did to test it :

• download the source code from SVN

• take the sketch (.pde) in "arduino-arduinoscope" directory and put it in a directory with name "arduinoscope" under your Arduino sketch folders, and rename the .pde in "arduinoscope" (character - is not allowed if I recall), and transfer to your Arduino

• take the examples in the processing directory, and copy "arduinoscope.java" in each of them, beside the example .pde, and copy examples in your own processing sketch folder

It seems that the author tried to make a library from his code but did not succeed. Try to contact him by email.

If your first problem has already been encountered by other users, checking issues may avoid you to search the problem on your side but shows directly that the software installation is not good at all (and it seems).

Ok thx, i'm not very used to share code servers so I see what you meant initially. i've looked on the issues, the only applying to my situation is If your first problem has already been encountered by other users, checking issues may avoid you to search the problem on your side but shows directly that the software installation is not good at all (and it seems). since I have a classic G5 mac hence no intel involved.

I've taken the arduino-scope.pde under an "arduinoscope" skektch folder. It compiles fine then dowloaded ok on my arduino board.

Where do you find "arduinoscope.java" in order to copy it inside each example ?

Another thing: I've moved examples so arduino can compile then dowload but compilation fails with this comment for example on "Simple SerialArduinocope.pde"

error: variable or field 'controlEvent' declared void In function 'void setup()':
 In function 'void draw()':
 At global scope:

As I wrote before, the only thing working is "SimpleSerialArduinoscope.app" which i download from the server under "application-macosx.zip". It dsiplays 6 scope visualisations screen but they are silent so I don't understand how to establich protocol between arduino board and this shell.

the examples are for Processing, not Arduino.

on your Arduino board, you run a program compiled from sketch "arduinoscope" and transferred into your Arduino board using serial cable.

on Processing development platform, you load an example, change some parameters (number of your serial port where the Arduino board is connected), then run the software on your Mac

the cable between your Mac and the Arduino board is used to transfer information from the input/output pins

on Processing development platform, you load an example, change some parameters (number of your serial port where the Arduino board is connected), then run the software on your Mac

Ok I understand now so I'll load Processing software but why the author called these examples under *.pde ?

Have you run successfully this otehr application http://accrochages.drone.ws/en/node/90 or is same issue as arduinoscope ?

In fact, *.pde comes initially from Processing, and Arduino kept the same extension rather than calling it for example *.ade (as pde means Processing Development Environment). It seems now too late the change the extension (see Arduino website on pending issues).

Whatever, it is the normal way and even if the author of Arduinoscope did some mistakes in the packaging of its software making it uneasy to use for a beginner, it is quite usual and you must prepare to see same issues on several other software (even mine I must admit due to lack of time to check if all libraries are packaged with, if all version of software compiles). Arduino and Processing are made for "quick prototypes" and amateur hands-on experiments..

Yes, I know accrochages minimal oscilloscope and I extended myself it to have more inputs (5D gyro/accelero) and even a radar-stylish oscilloscope : Visualisation radar d’une détection de distance - PoBot

In fact, *.pde comes initially from Processing, and Arduino kept the same extension rather than calling it for example *.ade (as pde means Processing Development Environment). It seems now too late the change the extension (see Arduino website on pending issues).

I knew there was soem esoteric or hidden story behind all that :frowning:

Whatever, it is the normal way and even if the author of Arduinoscope did some mistakes in the packaging of its software making it uneasy to use for a beginner, it is quite usual and you must prepare to see same issues on several other software (even mine I must admit due to lack of time to check if all libraries are packaged with, if all version of software compiles). Arduino and Processing are made for "quick prototypes" and amateur hands-on experiments..

i'm quite new to arduino world or more generally to DIY quick prototyping: many thx for your wisdom advice.

Your radar demo & site are quite cool.

It seems to me the real issue on arduinoscope is finding a specific protocol & hosting visual machine able to transfer high or bandwith volumes of samples without stealing too much local CPU on arduino & computer. If too fast, need detecting error or error-correcting errors. Other option si compressing data but problem is arduino is not DSP oriented :frowning:

Maybe you saw the other threads on this issue, what woudl you advise for a Mac user as myself so I can have a decent scope on my Mac in order to scan some of power electronics circuit signals ?

Amicalement

There is another oscilloscope completely Mac-oriented, but don't remember its name (not Mac myself).

But in fact these oscilloscopes are meant to debug Arduino's signals or signals for equipment usually connected to the Arduino.

If you want a simple but efficient oscilloscope for quite the same price of one Arduino : Under Construction

i've downloaded Processing & what a surprise indeed to discover Arduino interface comes from it ! Their library has even sample codes working along with arduino regarding serial communication.

Do you consider processing SDK to be the best choice to develop graphic interface for someone like myself who has no experience in java or object oriented programming ?

Since arduino interface is build on Processing SDK, is there a way to modify arduino SDK in order to modify & upgrade the arduino basic serial monitor so it would provide for example mouse click button, parameter capture, menu selection, graphic display as small scope,...

Under Construction says "Product Description - This is an AVR based ultra low cost digital storage oscilloscope" so does it mean we can do same bandwith or do they use a faster ADC not found in AVR ?

Hi,

Yes, even for a non-Java or non-OO coder I advice Processing, just by copy/paste/arrange of examples.

Yes the Arduino software being open source you can imagine making improvements. Contact them directly (but not so obvious, as the SDK does not use itself so I don't think the IDE code is as simple as the sketchs may be).

In fact it is based on AVR so I am not sure if the ADC is faster. Just compare the specifications (and don't hesitate to contact NKC Electronics guy himself).

I've looked at NKC electronics spec and they use an Atmega64 which from Atmegae328 or Atmega1280 have roughly same ADC spec on sampling speed, number of bits,...

How can they provide suche feature

Max sample rate - 5M/s (AUTO mode)[ch65292]8 bits

Atmega runs at 16MHz, the max free sampling with no scaling is much lower than 5Ms/s since it involves 13 cycles in free running mode !!!

Do you think NKC scope are only made to display PWM signals or can they display more complex signals ?

PWM are digital signals, and this oscilloscope can shows analog signals (such as sensors). I see it like a debug tool when you are unsure if your program handles right or if it is an hardware failure.

Of course you will not see small details.

What i meant with my question: how can NKC scope be able to claim 5Ms/s since it can not be reached with Atmega64 ADC requiring 13 or 14 cycles at 16MHz to measure one sample ?

About my other question, I meant: do you think NKC scope are only made to display analog square wave duty cycle signals or can they display more complex signals as sinusoidal, saw tooth or even more complex analog signals ?

I don't know. Are you sure they are using a 16 MHz ? Contact them, I am interested with the answer too.. I will receive mine soon.

Look at the doc : there are saw tooth and more complex analog.

Ok i'll contact them and ask more info :wink:

So you have order their product ?

Yes, all our Arduinos and XBee and protoshields come from NKC :

hi,

the serialscope sounds realy promising, it seems to be exactly what I need. There is just one problem, your uploaded files are no longer reachable. Could you please upload them again or just send them to me.

Thanks in advance

I've tried several different versions of oscilloscopes from around here including the google code one, simple and tiny one but I'm getting the same trace "noise" on all channels.
I am using a Pro Mini with FTDI cable and seem to get noise. It seems to be related to the USB but is not transmission or receiving or Raw voltage or Vcc. I can only assume it to be a combination or interference from the pro mini circuit as the only thing i have added is the lead for probing.
Any ideas on this frustration?

Awesome application man!