Go Down

Topic: new user with upgrade issues (Read 2144 times) previous topic - next topic

jessel

most HotSpots have ZeroConf service available, including most modern Apples'. Your Arduino should work at Starbucks, as well.

This may give a test you can try.
I hear what you're saying there, and I think it would work. Its just not something that fits into my routine... and I feel pretty comfortable that I have not broke the Yun (yet). I'm more likely to roll the dice and try adding yet another router to my network, but the apple stuff is too expensive.

I don't want to recommend a new router to you, there is no telling that a new one would be any better. Do you have the option of loading a different firmware on your router, something like DD-WRT or OpenWRT? I use DD-WRT because it's supported by my router manufacturer, and OpenWRT is of course what you're already running on the Yun. Both will give you a lot more configurability than the stock firmware (as well as give you many more ways to do something wrong!) Note that this is a complex scenario, and I won't be able to help if things go wrong.
I'm looking through the list of routers supported by dd-wrt and open-wrt and I'm thinking that if I bought this it looks like its supported though I'm not even sure since the version on amazon might be newer than the supported versions. If it didn't work I wouldn't be out a ton of money, and probably get support from future releases. Mainly I'm afraid to mess with the asus router, just because we are always using it. This is equivalent to fixing the toilet on a house with one bathroom, if you have to do it you want to make sure you have everything you need on hand, and with adding custom firmware to a router my assumption is that I'll break it (at least for a while)!

Thanks

ShapeShifter

This is equivalent to fixing the toilet on a house with one bathroom, if you have to do it you want to make sure you have everything you need on hand, and with adding custom firmware to a router my assumption is that I'll break it (at least for a while)!
This is a wise attitude to have. I remember remodeling the only full bathroom in my first house - of course issues with old galvanized pipes came up, and it took much longer than expected, and there were several days that the tub/shower was out of commission. Fortunately, we still have a fully functional half bath so it wasn't quite as big an emergency.

I can't say which router will give you good service or be able to be easily upgraded. I went with routers from Buffalo, which aren't the cheapest, but are supported with custom DD-WRT loads downloaded direct from Buffalo, so you know the software is properly built for that model of router. I didn't want to have to deal with downloading source and building a custom image, or dealing with finger-pointing by the manufacturer if there were any issues. I've simply had no issues using Buffalo's DD-WRT builds on their routers. Others have had good success with other brands and generic or custom builds, other have had problems. It's wise to be concerned.

jessemonroy650

@jessel,

Just in case:
friendly hotspots: McDonalds, Starbucks, DunkinDonuts, many Jack-in-the-Box, your local donut shop.

unfriendly hotspots: most hotels & motels, Burger King, Taco Bell.

On the Friendly side, beside google, abd the AT&T brand is wayport.net (google: wayport.net), is your local diner and donut shop. Since they don't have a "staff" to handle network issues, many, many local places have better wifi than brand names. Currently I'm at "Chuck's Donuts" - a local donut hole in Redwood City for over 50 years. (google:  chuck's donuts redwood city)

Jesse

jessel

@jessemonroy650:
 I never did take the yun out of the house, but installing openwrt fixed the problem (as suggested by @ShapeShifter)... I think in fact it was your instructions on the openwrt forum that showed me how to set up the router to simply be an access point. I mean it was definitely this set of instructions, but I can only speculate that you wrote them because it is possible that the  jessemonroy650 on the openwrt site is not the same person...

I ended up buying a TP-Link TL-WR741 router from Wally World, it was under $20 so I went into it OK with the fact that I might turn it into a paperweight. The router I got is version 4.28, neither openwrt or ddwrt explicilty show support for this version, and it seemed like there was plenty of opportunity for something to go wrong, though this router (at least earlier versions) came up as have good support for both openwrt and ddwrt.

Once I got the router it was easy to install openwrt. The thing that was difficult was setting it up. At first I was trying to give it a static ip address, then it finally it occurred to me that I just wanted to set it to be an access point, but I didn't know how to do that (on the asus router you just click a radio button). Anyway eventually I came across the thread showing how to connect an openwrt router to the internet as a dumb access point and bam, everything worked. I was able to connect to the internet, use the web interface (not that I didn't have good times connecting to the router via telnet and editing with vi!), and then I finally turned wi-fi on.

So now I can see the yun via wifi from my laptop, and upload sketches wirelessly!

jessemonroy650

@jessemonroy650:
 I never did take the yun out of the house, but installing openwrt fixed the problem (as suggested by @ShapeShifter)... I think in fact it was your instructions on the openwrt forum that showed me how to set up the router to simply be an access point. I mean it was definitely this set of instructions, but I can only speculate that you wrote them because it is possible that the  jessemonroy650 on the openwrt site is not the same person...

::::SNIP::::
@jessel,
thanks for the kind words, but that was not me. I think you should pat yourself on the back for being diligent.

Jesse

Go Up