Need Help Integrating 7 Segment LED Timer With Switches, Sensors, Audio, Etc.

I’m in need of mentoring in making a table hockey scoreboard that incorporates game time, score, and periods with 7 segment LED displays. This is for personal use as I’m looking to customize a table for my family. Once I get it set up on a breadboard I will move on to creating a PCB to mount it.

I’ve been able to make a 4 digit LED countdown timer with a Max7219 integrated circuit based on sketches found online. But I am frustrated by my current inability to stop and start the clock or figure out how to get switches and other stuff to work with it. The Arduino community is a terrific resource but in the short time I’ve been involved in this I often don’t understand the answers of the questions I ask. Since there also seems to be countless ways to accomplish the same task I never know what is the best obtion. So for the sake of continuity I’d prefer to deal with one person who is knowledgeable in this area. Although I certainly like the satisfaction of figuring something out on my own, it isn’t the most efficient way to learn.

My scoreboard will interact with switches in each of the goals in order to sense the puck entering the net. Then the switch will trigger the scoreboard to stop the clock, advance the score and play audio. I have other related functions in mind but for the sake of brevity I wont go into that here. I’ve mapped out a step by step logic of how, what and when my scoreboard will do what I want it to do. I just need guidance in how to integrate switch functions, clock functions, display functions and audio functions.

This post is an example of my work (or lack of it) so far: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,135193.0.html

Thanks, Steve

Having looked at that thread, I suspect that mentoring, rather than collaboration, is what you need. That's a bit hard to do from the other side of the world. So, it would help to know if you are (semi)local, or not. Where are you?

By the way, I made some comments there while reading the thread.

I'm in the Chicago area. Your comments on the other thread are very helpful and I'll continue matters there. Thanks.