Arduino Uno + Bluetooth Connectivity Issue

I got the same cheap BT module you are trying to use.
I get exactly the same behavior in XP, with 2 COM ports listed after Windows connects to the BT module. One port is "outgoing", the other one is "incoming". I think that Bluesoleil software (and others like it) just hides the complexity underneath, so users don't get confused when they see the multitude of ports.

So, at this point, one can either receive from Arduino through BT on the incoming port, or send out to Arduino through BT on the outgoing port. Trying to connect with a terminal app (I tried CoolTermWin) on the incoming results in an error. I could connect on the incoming port with the HyperTerminal though, which allowed me to receive messages from Arduino. This is the sketch I am running (using an ATmega with 2 serial ports, but should be easily adapted to Atmega328):

#include <WProgram.h>

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

// bluetooth serial:
  Serial1.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  while (Serial1.available())
  {
    // get char from bluetooth;
    char inChar = (char) Serial1.read();

// output to serial monitor;
    Serial.println(inChar);
  }

Serial1.println("from Arduino");
  delay(2000);
}

I am able to receive, sometimes, in HyperTerminal, the repeated message "from Arduino". So the connection works, but it is not reliable. Even after a fresh re-connect (in Windows), it may still not work. I suspect it is the USB dongle. I only have one, so I have no way to test it.

I tried sending messages from CoolTerm, through the outgoing port, but never got that to work.
I will keep you posted when I figure it out.