serproxy - waiting for clients

hi!

the serproxy under win32 can´t find any clients. when i start serproxy it remains idle and says "Serproxy - (C)1999 Stefano Busti, (C)2005 David A. Mellis - Waiting for clients". i´m printing strings with printString("yo, brotha");. hmm. with realterm i get the messages without problem?! does anyone have experience with serproxy?!?!

You need to connect to the serproxy with a network client before it will attempt to open any serial ports. To test it out, try (from the Window's Run dialog): "telnet localhost 5503" (the number will change based on the serproxy.cfg and the serial port you want to read from); this should print out any data being received and allow you to send data back over the serial port.

o.k. serproxy is talkin to me. at least. it says:

server(1) - thread started
server(1) - EOF from sock
server(1) - exiting

trying to connect to flash ... via this example: Arduino code&examples - by b of Progetto25zero1

hmmm. but on mac i´m experience the same problem ... serproxy waiting for client?!?!
do i have to establish a network client under osX as well?! which programm should i use?!

thanks!!!

On the Mac, open the Terminal (in Applications > Utilities) and run "telnet localhost 5503" (or whatever port) from the command prompt.

It sounds like Flash is closing the connection to serproxy. ("sock" is "socket", i.e. the network connection). Which code are you running on the Arduino board? Do you see any data when you run telnet?

I believe I may be having a similar problem. When I run Telnet this is what happens:
telnet localhost 5503
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Any suggestions?

I'm running into the same problem, and wonder if it has to do with the cfg file...

when i try telnet 127.0.0.1 5331 it says:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape Character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

and in the window running serprozy i get: Failed to open comm port - connection refused

flash connects and says it's trying, but serproxy gives the same warning.

I'm on OS X and don't know how to determine what comm port it's on (in the config i have comm_ports=1), the serial port is /dev/cu.usbserial-A1015S9

heres the whole serproxy.cfg file

newlines_to_nils=true
comm_ports=1 
#don't know how it determines this

comm_baud=19200
#matched in the pde on arduino
comm_databits=8
comm_parity=none

timeout=300

serial_device1=/dev/cu.usbserial-A1015S9
#name from the menu in the IDE

net_port1=5331
#5331 is arbitrary right?

Dave: that sounds like a config or networking problem. Can you post your serproxy.cfg file?

Nilloc: make sure you quit any other program that might be accessing the serial port (e.g. the Arduino environment). Also, make sure there aren't any funky characters in the name of the Arduino serial device by opening the preferences.txt file (in your Home directory/Library/Arduino) and looking for the device.

thanks for the idea, but the preference file looks identical to my serproxy.cfg file

serial.port=/dev/tty.usbserial-A1015S9

i do have a weird character if i check on the device in the terminal i get:

crw-rw-rw-    1 root      wheel       9,  15 Jun  7 21:22 cu.usbserial-A10?15S9
crw-rw-rw-    1 root      wheel       9,  14 Jun  7 21:22 tty.usbserial-A10?15S9

I'm asuming that
** **?** **
might be a problem, although the serial monitor in the IDE works fine.
Also I've made sure that all serial port using software is working still.

EDIT: so I was gonna make a symbolic link to the serial device (total shot in the dark but i'm new to this) and when i hit tab to auto complete the path to the cu. arduino, it auto completed with: /dev/cu.usbserial-A10^P15S9 but changing to that or using the symbolic link in the cfg didn't appear to change anything. Still refused connection.

That funky character is definitely a problem. The symbolic link should work though. What happened when you tried it?

Hello,

I am having the same issue.

• I can upload and run simple programs using ardino software

• I upload the Firmata firmware to the aurdino board.

• I quit the aurdina software

• I start serproxy, it says waiting for clients

• I try the ArduinoFF flash connection example. It says 'started connection', then immedatialy says 'stopped connection'

• serproxy always just says 'Failed to open comm port - connection refused'

• in the aurdino software it says its connecting to 'cu.usbserial-a1015ej', but in /dev/ it says 'cu.usbserial-A10?15EJ'. Trying either in the config doesnt work. I've tried connecting at the 115K baud rate and the 9600.

config file :

newlines_to_nils=false

Comm ports used

comm_ports=1

Serial devices

Replace this with your Arduino port. Note that it starts with cu and not tty.

serial_device1=/dev/cu.usbserial-A1015EJ

Default settings

comm_baud=9600
comm_databits=8
comm_stopbits=1
comm_parity=none

Idle time out in seconds

timeout=300

Port 1 settings (ttyS0)

net_port1=5331

Any help appreciated. My firewall is off, its os x with 10.4.9 intel. I cannot telnet to it either, it says connection refused.

are u on an intel mac? serproxy seems to give problems on intel mac while it works on PPC macs.

are u using flash cs3 or flash 8? firmata works only with AS 3.0

massimo

jozero: the problem is with the ? you see in the name of the serial device. That's not really a question mark; it's a special character that can't be printed in the Terminal, so it gets shown as a question mark. You either need to get that special character pasted into your serproxy.cfg file (you might be able to do this by copying it from the Arduino preferences file with a text editor that can handle such characters), or you can make a symbolic link (with a nicer name) to the serial device. To do the latter, open the Terminal and type "cd /dev". Then type "sudo ln -s /dev/tty.u", press the tab key to complete the name of the device, and type a nicer name like "tty.arduino" (all of these should be typed without the quotes). Press enter. It will prompt you for your password. Enter it and press enter and should have a link. Now, you can just say "/dev/tty.arduino" in your serproxy.cfg file.

If you still have problems (or if anything wasn't clear), let us know and we'll see what we can do.

Mellis et.al. :

Just wanted to let you all know that using the symbolic link just worked with my flash (serproxy) -> arduino problems, I've been busy with work lately so hadn't had any time to try it out, but within 5 minutes it was all set.

my arduino's serial number was showing cu.usbserial-A10?15S9 (it was the same problem with tty... but it was mentioned that tty causes crashes on some systems)
and now after applying the symbolic link and ls -la we have cu.arduino -> cu.usbserial-A10?15S9

And everything appears to be working as it should (on a PowerPC laptop anyway), the iMac(Intel) is still in progress but i think this was all that is wrong now that the conflicting jars are out of the way. Everything works for once, an now it's on to flash Pong with potentiometers!

I'm having a similar problem.

I'm using Arduino 0017, an Arduino Mega and i'm on a Mac Book Pro running OS X 10.6.

I can upload sketches in the normal way via the Arduino without any problems.

I've changed the baud rate via the serial monitor to 9600.

I've made sure that the StandardFirmata file in the Arduino environment say: 'Firmata.begin(5331);' - which is the same in the serproxy.cfg

I've also made sure that the serproxy.cfg says 'comm_baud=9600'

When i run the Flash test fla i get the following: Socket connected! Socket closed!

Here's what i get initially in the Terminal:

Last login: Sat Jan 30 19:39:45 on ttys000
macbookpro:~ me$ /Users/me/Desktop/Arduino\ exp/as3glue-cs247-01/as3glue/applications/Serproxy-0.1.3-3/serproxy ; exit;
Serproxy - (C)1999 Stefano Busti, (C)2005 David A. Mellis - Waiting for clients

When the Flash is run i get this message from the Terminal:
'Failed to open comm port - connection refused'

Here's the config for the Serproxy:

# Config file for serproxy

# Do not Transform newlines coming from the serial port into nils
newlines_to_nils=false

# Comm ports used
comm_ports=1

# Default settings
comm_baud=9600
comm_databits=8
comm_stopbits=1
comm_parity=none

# Idle time out in seconds
timeout=300

# Port 1 settings (ttyS0)
net_port1=5331

# Port 2 settings (ttyS1)
net_port2=5332

# Port 3 settings (ttyS2)
net_port3=5333

# Port 4 settings (ttyS3)
net_port4=5334

I'm also unclear how i would go about identifying what the port number is for the usb.

Can anyone help? :cry:

Ok so i've made some progress that i thought might be worth sharing.
So i found a nice wee article by Aral Balkan about the setup process. The one thing that stands out in his serproxy config file that isn't initally suggested is the naming of the USB port that the Arduino is connecting to.

# Config file for serproxy
# See serproxy's README file for documentation

# Transform newlines coming from the serial port into nils
# true (e.g. if using Flash) or false
newlines_to_nils=true

# *** The USB port that the Arduino is connected to ***
serial_device1=/dev/tty.usbserial-A60049Co

# Comm ports used
comm_ports=1,2,3,4

# *** Set the baud rate ***
comm_baud=9600

# Default settings
comm_databits=8
comm_stopbits=1
comm_parity=none

# Idle time out in seconds
timeout=300

# Port 1 settings (ttyS0)
net_port1=5331

# Port 2 settings (ttyS1)
net_port2=5332

# Port 3 settings (ttyS2)
net_port3=5333

# Port 4 settings (ttyS3)
net_port4=5334

I simply check what mine was called and updated it to the below:

serial_device1=/dev/tty.usbserial-A6008bba

I know get the following when i run the swf and quit it. I doesn't say connection closed in the swf any more just 'Socket connected!'.

Then in the Terminal i get:

Server thread launched
server(1) - thread started
server(1) - EOF from sock
server(1) exiting

I still don't get the Firmware or the port displaying in the swf??

Anyone got any ideas?

[EDIT]
It works regardless of the swf displaying the Firmware or port. I've got he LED_Control.fla working perfectly. The line in the serproxy where i define the name of the usb was the thing i was missing.
[EDIT]