Arduino Zero Errors - unable to open CMSIS-DAP device

Hi,
I have an authentic Arduino Zero board, which the native port is working ok but I am unable to get the programming port working. I have the correct boards installed. Arduino/Genuino (Programming Port) and have the board selected on my USB port and have Atmel EDBG selected as my bootloader. When I try to upload the sketch or burn the bootloader I get the following output in the console of Arduino.

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0-g932ec70 (2017-02-15-12:34)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
 http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
debug_level: 2
Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'swd'
adapter speed: 500 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
Error: unable to find CMSIS-DAP device
Error: No Valid JTAG Interface Configured.

Also when I load Atmel studio and attempt to get the EDBG to connect to the arduino Zero's programming port following this adafruit tutorial Let's go! | Proper Debugging of ATSAMD21 Processors | Adafruit Learning System

I am able to connect to the device and read the ID and the voltage of the board however, after selecting the EDBG too and trying to build the sketch in Atmel Studio. It is unable to build the Arduino Core. I get this output in the window.

recipe for target 'src/core/startup.o' failed ArduinoCore
'SYSCRL_OSC8M_PRESC_0_Val' undeclared (first use in this function)
each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.

This is also the case when I try to debug a Cortex-M0 ARM board with a JLink Debugger from segger. It is unable to build the Arduino Core.

However, when I go ahead and create a new project with an AVR board like the 32u4 I am able to build the project and use the simulator. So there is some type of problem I think with the SAMD boards maybe. I tried to role back the versions of the board definitions and IDE's with no luck. I've posted this thread already with Atmel and Adafruit and have yet to receive a good answer to the problem and I would really like to get this Arduino Zero working on the debug port.

The native USB works just fine on the board and this post is only relative to the Programming port of the Arduino Zero.

Thanks, John Anderson

You're on the wrong side of the Connecticut River for technology to work... :wink:

In the Arudino IDE under Tools -> Ports, do you see a COM port for the Zero? It should be something like COMx (Arduino Zero (Programming Port)).

As for Atmel Studio, it looks like they broke the most recent version as it won't compile any of my sketches after updating to the latest verison.

hello

you do not say which operating system you are using.

The error with the arduino.cc Zero programming port is due to the openocd software is missing.
if you are running debian or ubuntu open aptitude and search for "openocd" once you have installed that
search for JTAG. there are two packages that it is worth installing.urjtag, usbprog and usbprog-gui.

Once those are installed the Zero using the Programming USB port should be fine.

I do not do "windows" so I can not help you there.
no idea about Mac OSX. I have several Macs, i do not use them with arduino.

Hello

An aside comment.

When you are having problems programming an Arduino device with the Arduino IDE the first thing to do is to turn on verbose in the Preferences.

In the Preferences Pane:

Show verbose output during: compilation upload

With verbose output you would see that the error is external to the Arduino device and the Arduino IDE.