Faster development environment?

Hello together,

I did the blink test without delays to get informations about the speed that a loop can have.
I got 117,32 kHz pulse on the oscilloscope with the usual 16MHz frequency of the arduino uno.
My question is: is there a IO switching delay by the arduino uno (328) or is this a lost of the writedigital commands?
The second question would be: is there another well known software like the AVR Studio that can upload the firmware with the arduino bootloader?

Best regards,
SirNoName

is there a IO switching delay by the arduino uno (328) or is this a lost of the writedigital commands?

The digitalWrite() function needs to map a pin to a port. This is not necessarily very fast. Direct port manipulation (google phrase for you to pursue) is much faster.

is there another well known software like the AVR Studio that can upload the firmware with the arduino bootloader?

Well, there's AVR Studio...

First question, digitalWrite is quite slow, but it would be better if you
a) stated your aim
b) posted your code.

Hi,

my aim was simple to demonstrate a slowdown problem where I am not sure it is one.
I am happy that someone can point me to a faster solution which I do not know for now.
The code is, as written, the standard blink sample of the arduino gui with the delays removed.

How you can upload a AVR Studio project to a arduino HW?

thanks for your comments,
SirNoName

I am happy that someone can point me to a faster solution which I do not know for now.

A solution to what?

If you want the ultimate speed, direct port manipulation and an explicit loop inside the "loop()" function, though there will still be a slight asymmetry in the output.
Use the hardware if you want 8MHz square wave.

Hi,

I will search for the direct output manipulation to avoid the write command. Toorrow I will test it again.
I do not bother about asynchron outputs, it is a question of the throughput of the CPU and the used background SDK that I try to test.
It is a simple benchmark before I program parts in a CPU that will be to slow for them like PID calculations for 3 DC motors and a aim loop timing of 1kHz.

Best regards,
SirNoName

Extensive discussion here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,4324.0.html

Also search for "digitalWriteFast"

Atmel Studio is a development environment like the Arduino IDE, it creates hex code that you down, like your sketch.

You can download it here