Go Down

Topic: noob, help nothing works ,pro mini FTDI FT232 (Read 384 times) previous topic - next topic

Aross1976

Sep 05, 2017, 06:47 am Last Edit: Sep 05, 2017, 08:19 am by Aross1976
hello i   thought i could just buy  myself an FTDI USB to serial and a pro mini 5v and  get started after years of seeing people make this all look so simple , turns out i was totally wrong

my board will not  program  i think  that  it is my  FTDI USB to serial

both boards are made by inland , purchased from microcenter

i set the switch on the FTDI to 5v
everything is connected right
the board is selected  as pro mini , the baud rate is set to 9600 in windows com settings
 com port is set right

here is some of the error log i get trying to test it with the blink sketch

Linking everything together...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc" -w -Os -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega328p  -o "C:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270/Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp.o" "C:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270/core\core.a" "-LC:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270" -lm
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-objcopy" -O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0  "C:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270/Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270/Blink.ino.eep"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-objcopy" -O ihex -R .eeprom  "C:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270/Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270/Blink.ino.hex"
Sketch uses 928 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\anthony\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_303270/Blink.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attemp´╗┐

just goes to ten tries and fails  every time i tried everything it just does not work

i have tried different drivers, the one windows installed,   an older legacy driver,  the FTDI VCP drivers
and nothing works , yes i am using the right com port and baud rate and i have selected pro mini for the board

what am i doing wrong?

Coding Badly

Please do not cross-post.  Other thread removed.

Aross1976

ok this seems to be a driver issue i guess
i have  gone through every tutorial that i can find for installing the drivers and nothing works
i tried installing the drivers 50 different ways and  i keep testing by connecting  the  RX and TX pins and typing in serial monitor and it still never works
 will someone please help ,can anybody clearly explain how to install the drivers properly anyone at all?
i installed them with  FTDI .exe i installed them manually i let windows install them i tried legacy drivers
i tried installing  before plugging in the board i tried installing after plugging in the board i have tried it 100 different ways and it just wont  work
 com port show up under ports in   arduino IDE but it just does not work

Coding Badly

ok this seems to be a driver issue i guess
Don't guess.  A loop-back test will confirm that the driver plus serial adapter is or is not working correctly.

With a separate adapter you perform the test without the Pro Mini / just the serial adapter.

Aross1976

Don't guess.  A loop-back test will confirm that the driver plus serial adapter is or is not working correctly.

With a separate adapter you perform the test without the Pro Mini / just the serial adapter.

yes I did that it does not work so yeah it is the driver
Now how do I make it work
I tried everything and it does not work
There is no way to get it working in any windows machine
I tried it on 2machines 1 win7 and 1 win8.1
I tried both letting windows update install the drivers and I did it manually with both legacy drivers and the VCP drivers from FTDI WEBSITE
I TRIED EVERYHTING
On 2 machines
How do I get my boards programmed when no drivers work with this crap

Coding Badly

Aross1976

Sep 06, 2017, 05:11 am Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017, 06:24 am by Aross1976
Have you tried a different USB cable?

yes 3 of them
EDIT: make that  4 of them
 and now I installed even  older legacy drivers on the win 7 machine and this POS still does not  work at all
here are my drivers
https://postimg.org/image/6vosg1ep1/
https://postimg.org/image/im2pxf7hh/

and here are my ardino IDE settings
https://postimg.org/image/ta6gw9hgl/

and here is the verbose error log for upload
https://pastebin.com/K93VXevN

here is the error log
Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc1
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Coding Badly

yes I did that it does not work so yeah it is the driver
There are millions of people using the FTDI drivers.  The driver is not the problem.  Either the adapter is defective or you did not perform the loop-back test correctly.

Aross1976

Sep 06, 2017, 06:42 am Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017, 07:40 am by Aross1976
There are millions of people using the FTDI drivers.  The driver is not the problem.  Either the adapter is defective or you did not perform the loop-back test correctly.

why are you quoting posts from 3 posts back did you look at the photos I posted of  my drivers can you confirm the drivers are installed correctly
did you look at the settings I am using in  arduino IDE and the log files ?
   forget the loop back test , it will not program the pro mini
I tried both but
 the instruction on the loop back test ramble a bit and I do not really understand them clearly at all

so what I did was connect  RX and TX pins on the FTDI
then I go into serial monitor and I type hello and press send
I do not see any text  appear anywhere on the screen
I see that the  RX LED on the FTDI board blinks once for like a split second when I press send
so can you confirm if I am doing this test right or not?

can you explain this part better
"7. Connect the terminal application to the serial port for your board.  The baud rate is irrelevant."
umm yeah how exactly do I do that?
do I just set the  com port   in the tools menu ? and then what, there is no board so  I do not know what to set for that so I just leave it  at pro mini , programmer ,again not sure what to select here so i leave it alone
 really you need to make a separate tutorial for programmers and  another for  boards with programmers built in because this is really confusing here
first of all I have no idea what you  mean by connect terminal  to my board   ,I can assume you mean just set the settings for the com port, board (but there is no "board" just a programmer and there is no option under boards for  FTDI or anything obvious that jumps out at me)

so not sure what to do here s I leave it on pro mini

also this step
"Force the processor to remain in reset by connecting a jumper from RESET to GND"
yeah really not sure if I am supposed to do this or not , again how do I know I am supposed to do this or not, maybe it is only for  boards with built in programmer like uno? do I still do this on my FTDI? it really gives no clue and I do not   want to fry my board if I am not supposed to connect those pins on the FTDI USB  to serial board

Coding Badly

If the cable is good, which you claim it is, and the correct driver is installed, which you claim it is and is very likely true from the images and multiple attempts, and the loop-back test was done correctly, which appears to be the case from your post above, then the adapter is defective.

Aross1976

If the cable is good, which you claim it is, and the correct driver is installed, which you claim it is and is very likely true from the images and multiple attempts, and the loop-back test was done correctly, which appears to be the case from your post above, then the adapter is defective.

yeah I am not really sure how I can test the cable 
mini USB is so old  I have no clue if these things are  just power only cables
because I have had them so long and have not used  them in forever
but I  a assuming that if they were power only cables and not data then  the RX light on the FTDI board would not blink when I it send in the serial monitor and that windows would not have AutoDetected the device and  attempted to install drivers for it ,and I tried it with 4 different cables of different lengths  one being like  only 2 or 3 inches and never used and  I get the same results
the thing is  I just bought  this board the other day and it has no visible  defects and looks to be pretty well made
so now I am not sure  weather to get the same one again or not
could It be that the chip is counterfeit? or do you it is just  mean defective?
what is the possibility  that his device was bricked by  the drivers?
because if I get another one I do not want it happening again
I was under the impression that only 2 driver versions from 2 years ago would brick these things
and I am pretty sure I never used them , the one I just used is really old  and the 1st driver that I tried was the one win 8.1 update installed for it automatically and it didn't work and that one is new

also I think this thing may have bricked another device I tried to program with it
a lixada h801 esp8266  I tried a bunch of times to flash it with no luck I jumpered it to put it in flash mode
and every time  the green led would blink for  split second  after I powered it on jumped
then when I unjumpered it it would have a red and green led on solid when powered on
I tried to flash it like 20 times with just the TX RX and GND pins, no power from the FTDI just the boards own 12v power input  ad switch on the FTDI set to 3.3v
I gave up for the night , then the next morning I tried it again after messing with  the drivers for the FTDI
but when I jumpered the board the green light  was not blinking ,and then I cycled the power after unjumping it and  saw that only the green led was on steady and not the red , I connected a RGBW strip to it and it just stays white and blue ,and it will not longer give the  green led blink to confirm it is in flash mode

so I am going to try and return tis thing tomorrow I guess
I was looking into getting something else  something better for flashing both  pro mini's and esp8266
do you think I should try this one?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/389986/OSEPP_FTDI_Breakout_Board

basically I am looking for the cheapest thing I can find in store that will be good for pro min  as esp8266
this one seems like a good choice , has 3.3 vot VCC for esp8266 but it is  pricey

Aross1976

Sep 06, 2017, 04:13 pm Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017, 06:28 pm by Aross1976
ok  so I am definitely doing this right?

loop back test
https://postimg.org/image/ps4pyo6qt/

EDIT:
ok i tested my mini USB cables ,  2 out of 3 were bad , the main one i have been using is good though
i  forgot i had a mini USB female to micro UBS male adapter lying around
so i used it  and my mini  USB cables to connect my  android tablet to my PC and  transfer some photos and it works fine

i tried again with the good cable on my win 8.1 64bit machine and it  still won't work

when i look at the log  i see it says "  System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

is that normal i mean my OS is 64 bit, i am 99% sure i chose the  64 bit drivers on this machine

here is the full log   from the time i just tried on the win8.1 64bit machine

https://pastebin.com/ujzFmKVG

here is the driver configuration on the win 8.1 64 bit  machine
https://postimg.org/image/g51o8bup1/
https://postimg.org/image/vrsxlp8h1/

the newer drivers  do not work on this machine
the legacy and  the new drivers do not work on the win 7 machine and the
and the legacy driers do not work on this machine either

Aross1976

Go Up