building arduino using atmega8

I want to make an arduino UNO ,but for me there is one problem no one sells Atmega 326 controller near by me . Can i use ATMEGA32L OR ATMEGA8A-PU DIP-28 instead of ATmega168 or 328 chip to build Arduino?

Is the version of arduino UNO bootloader which works on atmega328 can be burned on atmega8 and work or it has a special version for atmega8 ,as long I saw that old arduinos built on atmega8 .

I'm novice in microcontroller world all what I know that atmega8 and 328 and 168 all is 8 bit microcontroller with different flash memory size .

Should be able to.
Start here
http://www.avr-developers.com/

The ATmega8 is an older type, with a few different registers.
Not every library will work on the ATmega8. For example the tone() function will behave differently.
But the normal functions (Wire for I2C, analog and digital pins) all work fine.

But using an ATmega8 is not complicated.
In Arduino, select the board with an ATmega8 (the lowest one in the list).
Program the bootloader with Arduino, using a programmer and the ISP interface (you need a programmer).
Use an USB-to-ttl-serial-adapter and connect that to the RX and TX of the ATmega8.
If the USB-to-ttl-serial-adapter doesn't have the DTR pin for reset, you have to reset the ATmega8 every time you want to upload a new sketch.

But if you are new to Arduino, start with a working Arduino to get to know it.

Hi,
I use ATMega8's in a lot of projects because they are available locally but as previous responses have said, get yourself an Arduino UNO first, it makes everything else so much easier including burning the Arduino bootloader onto ATMega8's.

A ready made UNO really is the best place for you to start and will save you so much time.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

I didn't realize Atmega8 boards were on the Board list.

Hi,
I have been using optiloader running on an UNO to burn the bootloader onto 8's, it detects the 8 and burns a suitable version of optiboot. You do need to add a new board to boards.txt but its pretty simple to do.

Duane B

DuaneB:
Hi,
I have been using optiloader running on an UNO to burn the bootloader onto 8's, it detects the 8 and burns a suitable version of optiboot. You do need to add a new board to boards.txt but its pretty simple to do.

Duane B

Hello and good day to you Duane,

So sorry to bother you about this but i am so very very interested to find out how to make optiboot burn the bootloader onto an Atmega8 chip but would optiboot also be able to burn the bootloader to an Atmega16 too the same way ?

I have burned the bootloader to many Atmega328P-PU chips but havent a clue where to start on changing this info to allow optiboot to burn Atmega8's - please please help if you can, i would be so very grateful for your assistance, also...

Please could you tell me the differences between an Atmega328 and an Atmega8/Atmega16 or a webpage link that shows the differences please please ?

I really have a thirst for learning about these microcontrollers and now and again always find a Grnius like you in the forums !

Please help !

DuaneB:
Hi,

Duane B

Okay so i found a great comparison page for the Atmega8 all the way to the Atmega328 here:

But i would really appreciate your help on optiloader being able to burn bootloaders as it automatically does like with the Atmega328P-PU chips i have, but i would like it to be able to burn the bootloaders onto Atmega8 and Atmega16's, please help me do this ! please please please !!!

many thanks in advance too !

kindest regards,

Anil

Optiloader will burn bootloaders "automagically" into ATmega8, ATmega168, ATmega328, and ATmega328p chips.
The "ATmega16" is an entirely different chip, not supported by the arduino environment. There is currently no version of optiboot for ATmega16 for optiloader to burn.