Post Your Workbench - Redux

I thought there was a newer thread than the one in the old forum, which I could resurrect, but I can't find it, so ...

I finally built a new workbench. My other one is just too cluttered, and trying to do reloading, the odd woodworking project, and electronics, all on a folding conference table is nearly impossible -- particularly for me. The material for this one was all free; I did spend little money on shellac and some corner brackets -- it's mounted to a cleat on the wall on one side, and my desk on the other. I figure it will never be this neat again, so I had to take a picture. Still a few additions to make to it, but I now have a mostly dedicated electronics bench.

A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind, it's new so I'll cut you some slack, but I hope you plan to rectify that :slight_smile:

Rob

I suppose I could post pics of my office desk, and my other work table. That would put to rest any questions about my mental state. :~

Fear not. I've had the benchtop in place for a couple weeks, and it took only a few days for it to become completely covered. :slight_smile:

I am trying to figure out why there is some hot sauce next to the soldering iron (though thats some good stuff)

Osgeld:
I am trying to figure out why there is some hot sauce next to the soldering iron (though thats some good stuff)

Water to wet the tip sponge for the soldering iron? I think my bottle is mayonaisse. :grin:

A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind,

The head of department once said to a colleague "your messy desk reflects your messy mind"
To which he retorted
" I suppose your desk is empty then"
That counts as revolution in the accerdemic world.

Good comeback, what a rebel :slight_smile:

Rob

I shall satisfy the "messy desk" requirement. Haven't cleaned in a bit, and I just had to toss everything due to flooding. I have 3 benches. The first is for my computers and "clean" work (soldering, disassembly, etc.). The second is for using tools that I want no where near my computers (grinder, sander, etc.). And the third is for working on other people's computers.

Bench 1:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CsQgckMVP4-th-JRgz5T2dMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-q7jUWD7oSWTvzderOKU2NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
I should probably get a real network rack at some point...

Bench 2:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PErZyXhqmSlOyaSlssDu19MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
That pile of PVC in the middle is our Field Remote Expeditionary Underwater Device (FREUD).

Bench 3:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uh36riv0SE1s1tkLOLI_wNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Now we're talking, a bloke could really get some work done there :slight_smile:

OK, I'll see your messy bench and raise you an absolute tip of a workshop.

We lived under that tarp at the back while I finished building our motorhome.

This is what happens when your house sells too fast (should have asked for more) and you have nowhere to live because the motorhome isn't finished.

Of course such a state can only be achieved by persons of an extremely sound mind.

Rob

Dude! Heated towel rail! You were living the good life!

pico:

Osgeld:

Water to wet the tip sponge for the soldering iron? I think my bottle is mayonaisse. :grin:

I just put that there for fun. Nice that someone recognized it for what it is. I do like the idea of having a squeeze bottle for water.

For those in need of enlightenment: Dear Sriracha Rooster Sauce - The Oatmeal

wizdum:
I shall satisfy the "messy desk" requirement.

Nice. I'd have to get stuff out of storage to approach that.

Graynomad:
Now we're talking, a bloke could really get some work done there :slight_smile:

OK, I'll see your messy bench and raise you an absolute tip of a workshop.

I bow to your superior mess!

7739_notworthy.gif

pico:

Osgeld:

I'm not the OP, but an old hot sauce bottle to hold water for the soldering iron seems appropriate to me.

You were living the good life!

Yeah, we had it all...over the floor that is.

Rob

MichaelMeissner:

pico:

Osgeld:

I'm not the OP, but an old hot sauce bottle to hold water for the soldering iron seems appropriate to me.

cept its still full of hawt sauce, the bottle is clear, the sauce is a thick red liquid, I have the same stuff in my fridge, we call it "flaming cock" cause its so darn hot ... and has a rooster on the bottle.

and has a rooster on the bottle

Thanks for clearing that up.

Rob

Nothing to brag about...

I don't even have a workbench at present, so I'm quite envious. And three monitors, double envious.

At least I will have something soon, I'm building a workshop in half a shipping container.

Rob