LumiNet (based on attiny84)

Awesome!! Can't wait for the schematics and IDE to release. I'm gonna order some Attinys in anticipation

Also regarding the power usage. I seem to have some problems with by arduino (I think I blew the FTDI chip). So i couldn't program it to set pins high. I did put an empty chip in (IDLE program) and got about the same power usage as you did: ~30 mA.

I am going back to the university in a couple weeks. I plan on just doing power testing an Atmega 168 bootloaded with Arduino on beadboard. This should give a better comparison between power usage on Attiny84 and Atmega168

Schematics and software will be released soon, end of April I guess.

I think the numbers of the LilyPad Arduino and an atmega168 on a breadboard will be the same.

I made a video of the BitBang upload process but I am too busy to upload it at the moment. Videos will be released soon.

Any more questions or feedback?

Update: FTDI BitBang tested with Mac OS X. It now works out of my IDE.

But I don't understand how to use the VCP driver and the D2XX driver at the same time on Mac OS. So right now the user must decide if her wants to upload sketches (using the VCP driver) or if he wants to burn the bootloader (using the D2XX driver).

But it is possible to use the FTDI BitBang hack for the Diecimila out of the IDE under Mac OS and Windows now and I used it to flash LumiNet nodes with it.

I'm very interested for the bitbang en attiny support in the arduino ide.

Good work!

Wow, I've been looking for something like this for awhile now. Can't wait for the board files, bootloader and IDE. I could use about a dozen of these little things!!

-m

Thankx for the feedback.
I am currently fine tuning the last parts and hope to release the files until the end of April.
If there are any other features that you miss in the official Arduino IDE then please let me know, maybe I can include it in the LumiNet version.

How much would it take to get the TWI/I2C to work? I was looking at going with the ATTiny 25/45, but guess I could try 84/85. Or would it work for any in the ATtiny series? I'm just getting started with this whole arduino thing, so of course, the easier, the better.

Thanks

Has there been any more work done on this? i'm very interested to see the modified files. this could be very useful for me!

@harry: sure, I am working on it day and night. Fixing the last problems and hope to get the release online in two weeks.

It will be a standalone release and not part of an official Arduino release.

I test everything under Windows and Mac OSX. And of course the sources are released too, so anyone who has Linux can give it a try as well. So if there are any requests for changes in the (original) IDE please post them here soon.

Also have a look at the project page (http://www.luminet.cc) for changes. The package will be release there.

Any news about the ATTiny Arduino IDE release? I can't wait to test it out - I already have an Arduino-like board assembled for it and I'd love to program it up using your IDE. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Everything finished. But I have to wait until Tuesday to upload it, because my upload speed at home is too slow.
So come back Tuesday or Wednesday, then you can download it.

And one new feature was added: If you create a new sketch, then setup() and loop() are automatically inserted, you only need to fill these functions with your code.

I'm super excited! is the modified IDE going to be on top of Arduino 15? Also any updates on getting in branched into the next arduino release?

I will upload the binaries for Windows and for Mac OS X tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon. Everything is running very nice now.

Oh, it is based on 0014, because I liked it better than 0015. But I will update the sources and binaries to new versions in the future. But of course this edition is neither 0014 nor 0015... it is something different :slight_smile:

Here is the modified IDE for Windows (binaries only, sources come in an extra zip file):
Download Windows Version

And here are the binaries for Mac OS X:
Download Mac OS X Version

Please give some feedback :slight_smile:

Good to see its been released. I'm very much looking forward to using this in an upcoming project. I haven't had a chance to look at the new IDE yet, but any chance we could have some info such as what additions you've used and what the pin allocations are?

Thanks for you work!

Dave

What pin allocations do you mean? For the ATtiny chip? Or for the BitBang?

Sorry, i meant for which pin in the ide relates to the pin on the chip, for instance if i do a digitalwrite(1, HIGH) which physical pin will go high? Also which pins are which ADC, and does i2c work?

Also do you have any hardware designed as a prototype board? i'm halfway through designing one to use in a breadboard, as with the arduino nano, but i would like to see your take on the hardware.

Thanks

Thanks for the IDE - looks like it will be helpful to many of us. For just general purpose ATTinyx5 work, which LumiNet board should be selected as a target? I have a board with an ATTiny85V on it and I wanted to test out the IDE but I wasn't sure what device to target.

Thanks again!

Select the SENSOR board, then you can burn the sketch (and the bootloader) via ISP programmer (e.g. stk500 or FTDI BitBang) to your chip when you hit the Upload Button

I will support other mcus soon. If you have an ATtiny-based project then I will support you to use the modified IDE, just ask whatever you need to know.

Really looking forward to some ATtiny support with the IDE!!! Purdy please!