"New" forum

hello it is getting better but i got this whole 17 new private messages that nothing new is there all old messages and all my recent messages are gone are they coming back? and is there a way to make the font size bigger or are we stuck with this small font?

And another thing.
Attempting to upload a "personalized picture" I get an error message

An Error Has Occurred
The attachments directory is not writable

BTW I have ensured that it is exactly 65 pixels square.

To get right down to the point: the new forum s**ks!!!!!

• All posts are marked [New],
  • post that I read now are not getting marked as read
  • navigation back and forth is totally f'd up
  • new forum doesn't properly adjust the posting timestamp to the local time zone
    (sorry, won't bother to test much more tonight, my eyes start hurting)

PLEASE, get back to the way it was, while not the best forum setup around, the old one was at least workable. This one is absolutely not. Why fix something that isn't broken? Rather spend some time on fixing well known and long standing issues in the Arduino IDE...

Ralf

After I tried to edit my profile forum setttings, look and layout, and saved the new settings, I only get blank pages on any forum page. I can go to my profile page, but when I try to edit settings all I get is a blank web page.

My user is @hiduino. I had to use this other user to get to any forum and post.

My profile seems to be intact but I can't get back into my settings to make any changes. The last changes I made before this problem was to change to 25 posts per page.

Any Moderators can help?

Well, I guess I get what I pay for. Wish Google or Yahoo would start a forum that doesn't keep going from bad to worse.

I guess it's time for at least one of the administrators to comment here and tell us what went wrong, if they think they are able to fix it and maybe an estimation of the time they need to fix it.
At present time I'm still missing several hundreds of my posts, all my personal messages and a working "Updated Topics" page. Especially the last issue is crucial for me because that's what I used most on the forum.
Don't wait until the most active posters turn away and leave for other forums, keep us updated so we see that someone is working the, really really annoying, problems.

PaulS:
When moderators move a topic, the link in the old section shows up as New, and takes you directly to the link in the new section, instead of revealing a link to the new location.

When you click the New icon, you go to the new location, and clicking back takes you back to the old list of topics. Great. But, the New icon is still there. The only way to make it go away is to Mark Read on the topic. Rather annoying.

Yes! It also appears the subject is "locked" I responded to one such thread earlier and, upon returning to the same thread later, found my reply doesn't exist. So are the moved threads also locked?

Hey, I found something that works...
The 'Mark All Messages As Read' does as expected :stuck_out_tongue:

pylon:
At present time I'm still missing several hundreds of my posts, all my personal messages and a working "Updated Topics" page. Especially the last issue is crucial for me because that's what I used most on the forum.

I got confirmation that the "All unread topics" and "unread posts" issues have been added officially to their "to do" list.

The "Attachments go missing" issue:-

The ETA is this evening but if something is going completely wrong could be tomorrow morning.

The auto scroll to the bottom of the page I think has been fixed but they say of this:-

Opening a thread wrongly takes you to the last post

we are going to fix the wrong anchor when navigating to a page from a link, Quick Reply is a useful feature for most users.

Do any of you think this is useful because this is what "they" are saying about it at the moment.

Do any of you think this is useful because this is what "they" are saying about it at the moment.

It's not completely useless but I can easily live without it. Jumping directly to the Quick Reply is a no-go in my opinion.

Where do you have your information from? Is there a forum or blog where the administrators tell such things? Why is this information not publicly available?

Grumpy_Mike:

How the heck are you supposed to give a quick reply to ANYTHING until you've had a chance to read WTF it's about. It's most anoying.

Also I hate the way that hitting the "quote" button puts you into the Quick reply mode. It's a SOB to edit down to the relevant part of a post. It doesn't give you access to the BBCode most annoying. I'd rather the quick reply didn't exist at all.

Is there a forum or blog where the administrators tell such things?

Yes there is a Moderators Forum where such things are discussed. However, they seem to be busy trying to fix things which is why I took it upon myself to try and keep forum members informed of what is going on.

How the heck are you supposed to give a quick reply to ANYTHING until you've had a chance to read WTF it's about.

The automatically going to the quick reply will be fixed but the quick reply box will still be at the end of the thread. The thinking is that once you have read the thread you can reply without another page access from the server. However, I would agree that I would not shed any tears if it did not exist.

Since the forum here previously used SMF 1.1.19, I initially thought the upgrade would be minor (the security patch to SMF 1.1.20).

From SMF's security patch announcement, it states:

"If you are running 1.1.19, you can update to 1.1.20 by using the smf_patch_1.1.20_2.0.9.zip patch file and installing it via the package manager as well. If you are still using 1.1.x branch, please be aware this will be the last patch released for this version, so you are strongly urged to upgrade to 2.0.9, in order to be able to continue to receive security upgrades to your forum. Note that we will continue to provide support for 1.1 until 2.1 final is released."

When viewing the source of this forum, an clicking on the smf_jquery_plugins.js link, we get:

Their advice is to upgrade to 2.09.
SMF, creator of the forum software, is using this for their forum:
SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

To me, it looks like we're beta testing SMF's next version.

Hi Everyone,
As said here Attachments have disappeared - #16 by mastrolinux - Website and Forum - Arduino Forum I am the responsible of all the Arduino Web Architecture.
We would like to inform you that these are the issues we are going to solve in the short-term:

Disappeared attachments (solved)
Quick reply is focused instead of giving the content of the thread (solved)
Private messages not working (high prio)
Updated/unread posts feature is not working (high prio)
Search Form not working (medium prio, please use: Google in the meantime)

Here some issues we fixed in the last 2 days:

Profile settings
Some accounts were not normal users neither moderators
No recycle bin
Login issues
Removed more than 3k fake users after importing them from the old forum
Karma points were not working correctly
Changed the order of columns in the overview section
Last post appears at first in thread
Always show author names
Wrong number of posts displayed for threads (and in general respect for language specific number format)
Some others layout fixes
Number of posts per page set to 15

Please keep giving us feedback, we need your help!
We will take care of solving all major issues within 1-2 weeks, and we will leave the others in a backlog.
The migration to the new platform has been a big challenge for us and we (the Arduino Team) want to thank you for your valuable feedback.
We will update this thread in the coming weeks. Some other issues for Moderators are handled outside of this thread.
Thank you again!

dlloyd:
Their advice is to upgrade to 2.09.
SMF, creator of the forum software, is using this for their forum:
SMF 2.0.9 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines

To me, it looks like we're beta testing SMF's next version.

Hi,

We are using SMF 2.1 indeed. We tested the forum for more than 2 months already and we addressed many issues in the main codebase of SMF in our private repo. Our new codebase is easy to be merged with the new improvements of SMF as soon as they are released. We are using the branch release-2.1 that is quite stable and much cleaner than the old codebase.
A big thank you to the SMF forum developers for their great work at GitHub - SimpleMachines/SMF: Simple Machines Forum — SMF in short — is free and open-source community forum software, delivering professional grade features in a package that allows you to set up your own online community within minutes!

Thanks for the update but if, as you say

We tested the forum for more than 2 months already

how come there were so many problems after the "upgrade" ?

Were any users involved in the testing ?

What's the process for banning spammers & deleting their posts now?
Looks like we go to the Reported Posts section, mark them as Ban, then close, then go back to where the posts appeared in a forum and delete the posts?

CrossRoads:
What's the process for banning spammers & deleting their posts now?
Looks like we go to the Reported Posts section, mark them as Ban, then close, then go back to where the posts appeared in a forum and delete the posts?

Just sent you a PM on it.

Please keep giving us feedback, we need your help!

I recommend having the "Quick Reply" feature as an option in the user's profile (if possible).

Just sent you a PM on it

Are they working now then ?