(Maybe) Fried MEGA16U2 chip?

Hello, yesterday i was experimenting with my arduino and i accidentally touched with 12V1.5A the digital pin 2 for a second on my Arduino Uno r3

the code that i was trying works but i cant send new code on my Arduino

i tried removing the atmega328 chip, shorter tx-rx pins and tried to send something on the serial monitor to get it back but nothing happens, the tx-rx led's are not working, i tried another atmega328 chip but still nothing

is the MEGA16U2 chip dead? also if i buy an arduino compatible board and switch the chips is there any chance that it will work?

(update) i tried now to upload the blink example with a cp2102 usb to serial and it worked, tried the pin2 with a led and that worked too

Probably it is dead, otherwise the loopback test should work. And of course, you can use ATmega328P with another board if it is good.

Budvar10:
Probably it is dead, otherwise the loopback test should work. And of course, you can use ATmega328P with another board if it is good.

hi

i meant to switch the MEGA16U2 chip, i want to repair this board

Why not? ...if you have a skills and instruments.

you think it will work or there is a chance that another component might be broken?

The 16U2 is in the MUR package. It is the hardest solder-able component on the board, by my opinion. If you are able to do this, you can replace any. I have some experience in this area and I would prefer to buy another board. It is cheaper.
EDIT: I didn't want to discourage you, sorry if yes. You cannot loose at this moment if you try to replace it.

If you are sure that you touched only pin 2 with 12V it could be just 16U2 (I don't understand why the 16U2 is a victim and not 328P? It is Tx pin.).

tx pin is pin1

i want to repair it because call it sentimental value

it looks really hard to desolder and solder but worth a try

It is job for hot air rework station.

Go ahead.

EDIT: ..and let to know about your success.

i will find a compatible on ebay with a MEGA16U2 and i will try it

thank you

If you decide nevertheless to replace 16U2, it could be useful to read this topic: Share tips you have come across, #301, how to protect plastic parts like headers which are near around.

hello, i got a genuine mega 2560 for free with some damage in the chip next to the crystal (LMV358IDGKR) and windows cant recognize (error 43) and i remembered that i forgot to write here that windows recognize the arduino uno and when i click the Tools>Get board info on Arduino IDE it returns board info so still the damage might be on the MEGA16U2 chip or somewhere else?

The err. 43 can be caused by damaged driver. Try to reinstall driver.

Budvar10:

the chip next to the crystal overheats and when i desoldered it the MEGA16u2 was overheating

I have yet to hear of anyone successfully repairing a board with damaged 16u2; I've read at least two reports of people replacing it, but finding that after doing so, it still doesn't work!

More than one chip may be damaged (possibly in a way that trashes the new 16u2 if you don't fix it first). The '358 is pretty fragile, and will mess up the power switching if damaged (which would provide a possible route towards damaging newly installed 16u2's)

This is one thing in favor of ch340g based clones - I don't think I've read a single report on here that was consistent with a damaged ch340g, compared to dozens of threads on damaged 16u2-based boards.

Budvar10:

the chip next to the crystal overheats and when i desoldered it the MEGA16u2 was overheating

DrAzzy:
I have yet to hear of anyone successfully repairing a board with damaged 16u2; I've read at least two reports of people replacing it, but finding that after doing so, it still doesn't work!

More than one chip may be damaged (possibly in a way that trashes the new 16u2 if you don't fix it first). The '358 is pretty fragile, and will mess up the power switching if damaged (which would provide a possible route towards damaging newly installed 16u2's)

This is one thing in favor of ch340g based clones - I don't think I've read a single report on here that was consistent with a damaged ch340g, compared to dozens of threads on damaged 16u2-based boards.

so its better to just program it with an usb to serial?