Send Joystick data over serial to Arduino Uno

Hi Everyone,

Just a small question here. I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick and I am looking for some sort of software that will allow me to send all the movement data over to my Arduino. I have been looking around already for some answers but have been coming up dry.

Thanks for all the help!
Max Kulik

Hi Max,

Not quite a Software solution but a hardware/software.
I'm taking a guess that the connection on that joystick is USB, right? So it expects to plugged to a computer which is acting as a HOST to the device. So in order to connect this device to the Arduino you can either write a driver which performs the communication between the joystick and Arduino and conforms to USB V2.0 Protocol
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Serial_Programming/USB
or
I was also thinking about using a PS2 joystick with a USB connection in my project and came across this device called a USB HOST controller board
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v2
Together with the right firmware installed it handles all the complex USB programming so no USB coding is required. The board has external coms SPI, I2C, RX,TX so can talk to Arduino with not a lot of trouble or code.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It seems that option #2 is going to be my best bet. I was looking for something on the software side so that is one reason why I think my searches were coming up dry. I do allot of hardware based things so this is going to be an easy solution to my problem. Do you know of any Arduino librarys that I could would work with this or am I going to have to come up with something myself?

Thanks again
Max

Don't know any Arduino libraries that would support USB devices directly connected, anyway you can't plug in a USB A port into an Arduino.

USB is a Protocol so devices need to tell a host....I'm a usb joystick.....host sends back....tell me what you need.....joy send data from pots and digital switches...etc
If you read though the description of that link I gave you, it's mentions

The USB Host Board is based around the Microchip 24FJ64GB002 microcontroller which contains a built-in full-speed USB host controller. This allows the board to interface with and control any USB slave device - flash drives, keyboards, digital cameras, bluetooth dongles, and much more!
The USB Host board is designed to be as simple to use as possible. All of the complex USB programming is contained in the microchip so there is NO USB coding required in your application. This saves valuable programming space and saves you from having to code and debug USB interface routines. The onboard microcontroller has a bootloader and is easily updatable with any of our free USB Host driver software.

So all the USB communication from device to this chip as detailed above is done for you. All you need to do is plug in the USB and connect I2C or RX/TX and +5V from the arduino and then pull data from the registers within the chip. The description is quite detailed in how to use this device, which will contain the data required.