Building the Yun image - Alpine fails

Hi,
I've been trying to build the Yun Linino image, as per the playground instructions. It's going OK, but the build fails when it comes to Alpine. (Termcap/terminfo not found) I have got the libncurses5, libncurses5-dev installed.

For now , I've kicked out alpine, and it's lashing away.

Has anyone else seen this? (Ubuntu 12)

C

OK, been learning a lot about building OpenWrt. I used the .config file from the linino repository, which sets up the build for the Linux kernel, and hundreds of packages. I ran out of disk space. (> 5GB)

I have realised that only a very small number of these packages actually end up on the Yun, but I don't know yet how these are selected.

For now, I'm going to start again, and at the "Make menuconfig" stage, I'm going to strip put many of the packages, such as multimedia, gnome, etc.

This should save me time and disk space.

If any kind soul who understands the entire build process would care to enlighten me about how the packages that are finally selected for the Yun image are specified, that would be great :slight_smile:

GreyCon:
If any kind soul who understands the entire build process would care to enlighten me about how the packages that are finally selected for the Yun image are specified, that would be great :slight_smile:

Basic steps are explained in the FAQ

Yeah, those are the steps I'm following. But what puzzles me is that the build process builds the Linux kernel, and hundreds of packages, many of which are not used for the Yun.

So, the bit I'm missing, and I can't see it on the playground page, is how the packages that actually go onto the Yun image are selected. I guess I'm being a but dense here.

Building the Linino image can be an exercise in frustration, it seems like all will go fine while you watch it, get up and go somewhere and it bombs, rinse, repeat.

The build process is controlled by make menuconfig, if you leave it as it comes to you, yeah it builds a lot of stuff you don't need. The M option means it won't end up in the image but will be available as a package for opkg. The * option means it goes in the image. I think Federico has stated that they built the official image with as much as would compile with the M option and what is needed with the * option. What will compile changes from day to day since it downloads the sources and compiles everything, if something upstream changes it may break.

This is just a modified (not much really, just adding the Arduino specific stuff like the Bridge library) OpenWrt so this link may help understand what is going on:OpenWrt build system – Usage [Old OpenWrt Wiki]

Thank you my friend, you are indeed correct! My aim in doing all of this was to build my own packages. I've just succeeded in getting my first C program to cross-compile and run on the Yun AR9331 chip. Happy days.

I gave up on trying to get a full build of the Yun sources to build. But, the toolchain built just fine. So, with that, and a few sample MakeFiles from the openWrt site, I got it to go. Honestly, I feel like I was a kid working with a 6502 system back in the 70s :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Con