AVRdude and Arduino

Hi everyone. I understand Arduino allthough I need to practice some more programming.
I HAD problems with an ATmega88v which is now in the thrash can!
Somewhere I read that You ( NOT Me ) could use the -F to cancel the signature check.
Can someone explain in 20 words, like they used to do in UK;
What is the relationship between AVRdude and Arduino?
I´m I running AVRdude when I run Arduino?
I downloaded AVRdude v5.10, installed, resad the manual, NOT MAKES SENSE TO ME!
I´m I too OLD?
Please excuse me language if it sounds offensive, I´m getting desperate!
Thanks, Alberto.

What is the relationship between AVRdude and Arduino?
I´m I running AVRdude when I run Arduino?
I downloaded AVRdude v5.10, installed, resad the manual, NOT MAKES SENSE TO ME!
I´m I too OLD?
Please excuse me language if it sounds offensive, I´m getting desperate!
Thanks, Alberto.

When you install the Arduino IDE on a PC it includes all the software components required, including the C/C++ compiler and a copy of AVRDUDE. When you press the upload button the IDE passes your sketch (with some preprocessing steps) onto the avr C/C++ compiler/linker and when that is done the IDE passes the compiled hex file to AVRDUDE which then communicates with the bootloader on the arduino board to write the hex file contents into the flash (program) memory of the processor chip. So there is no need for you to download another copy of avrdude or to even use avrdude in command line, the IDE handles that all automatically when you hit the upload button.

Or are you trying to do something that the Arduino IDE doesn't support automatically?

Lefty

So there is no need for you to download another copy of avrdude or to even use avrdude in command line, the IDE handles that all automatically when you hit the upload button.

I was trying with an ATmega88v, but seems not supported by Arduino.
I read that You, NOT Me, could use a command, -F, to uncheck the signature of the MCU.

Or are you trying to do something that the Arduino IDE doesn't support automatically?

I might be going crazy, but not yet. I just want to control four O/Ps with three I/Ps.
Maybe afterwards I´d get ambitious, but I doubt that.

I´ll get one ATmega328 bootladed, one ATmega88v, wo ATTiny45 and two ATTiny2313, hopefully next week. I´ll let You know how I´m doing. Thanks again.