Go Down

Topic: Whats your opinion (Read 434 times) previous topic - next topic

tjones9163

Hello, I am fairly new to electronics and I try and be as respectful as possible when it comes to asking a question on the forum. I have noticed as a new member that SOME elder member gives disrespectful, condescending remarks for no apparent reason and really discourages me from asking questions and learning. Here is a question I posted just yesterday with the title "beginner circuit question"
(tell me your opinion on whether he was giving advice or just being rude and disrespectful)

"A series resistor is not necessary if the voltage can be regulated to match the LEDs (Vf). One way to do this is to match a battery to the LEDs. If your LEDs forward voltage is 1.2v, you can string ten of them (10x1.2v=12V) and power them from a 12v battery and not need a series equivalent resistor.

My question is how would you calculate the math for resistance and current when there is no resistor. Thank again for the help

raschemmel -commented my post with

That's the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time, mainly for the reasons already indicated but given the post title "Beginner Question it is completely appropriate. On the other hand, one might easily conclude "You're a beginner and ALREADY too lazy to use a resistor !?"
Try to spend your time more wisely.

This is someone with 35yr experience talking down to some who has maybe a year under my belt!

pert

Don't be so thin skinned. You have people with decades of experience in electronics and programming offering you free advice on any question you want to ask. Even at the cost of an occasional rude comment you're still getting a tremendous bargain. When you break forum rules, such as by cross posting, we consider that quite rude and you can expect the same treatment in return.

Robin2

Mar 08, 2018, 10:14 am Last Edit: Mar 08, 2018, 10:16 am by Robin2
I'm inclined to think it is a dumb idea also. What happens if one of the LEDs has a threshold of 1.19v ? Or if one of the LEDs has a threshold of 1.21v? Or if the power supply output is actually 12.1v?

A diode is like a weir in a river. if the water level is below the top of the weir no water flows. If the water is higher than the top of the weir there is no limit to the flow rate.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

tjones9163

Still no reason to be rude. I don't care how many years you have respe t is repect.

ballscrewbob

Going out on a limb here.

Dont follow forum etiquette and get chastised...Take it on the chin.

The people in here are from around the globe with many different aspects on life.

They do this for FREE day in day out.

Like anyone they can become a bit peeved with people at times or because they see people have not done even a simple google search.

If they become a little tetchy at times roll with it and learn from it.

And of course RESPECT IS EARNED and not a given right.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Still no reason to be rude. I don't care how many years you have respe t is repect.
As far as I can see nobody said you are dumb. They just said the idea is dumb. Big difference.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

PaulS

respe t is repect.
Is it?

Spelling counts.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Go Up