Go Down

Topic: BEGINNERS: TOP FIFTEEN MISTAKES (well a shot at them anyway) (Read 486 times) previous topic - next topic

lastchancename

Aug 28, 2017, 11:55 am Last Edit: Aug 29, 2017, 01:11 pm by lastchancename

Everyone will have their own hit-list, so feel free to add them,
and if we all agree - I'll rename the thread to Top 4362 mistakes!

They're not always program/code problems, sometimes wires are in the wrong place because you didn't read or understand the product datasheets. (They're important!)

In no particular order
Specifically not including logical or structural errors, these can be discussed in detail for each unique project.

• Using the hardware serial pins (0,1) for some other purpose
  • IDE can't see my board...
  • Setting the Serial Monitor to a different bit-rate than the Arduino's serial port...
  • Power Supply issues (VIN / 5V / 3V3) and misunderstanding the need for common 0V
  • Global variables & variable 'scope'... along with static & volatile keywords
  • Memory usage &  data types
  • Array sizing and overflow
  • ISR strategy - small & fast return
  • Character arrays vs Strings
  • Delay() vs millis() timing
  • while() & if() / else & switch() / case benefits
  • Switch (input) wiring & pull-ups/downs (setting pinDir)
  • Input state change & debounce
  • Output pins driving something with a bit of 'meat'
  • Capturing serial streams

Edit = small clarifications
Q: How many searches did you make before posting this question?      A: none
At the very least, take a guess at the solution, then we can help move forward from what you know already.

Robin2

Who is your list addressed to?

I suspect the newbie who is making one of those errors would not understand it.

The newbie will be conscious of the symptoms - usually described as "It won't work" - but won't know how to relate the symptoms to the cause.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

lastchancename

Hopefully some conscientious beginners that *want* to learn more (as opposed to 'can you guys do it for me?)...

Give them the hooks to search and discover. Then ask.
I'm certainly not helping every bonehead that says 'my Arduino doesn't work'. or 'pinMode 2 = input pullup'
Yet, if a 'worthy' learner was nearby, i'd give my time freely to get them over the first hump, or a tricky problem.

Having been here for a few months, acknowledging each newbie is a different person, doesn't give me very much faith in their ability to discover things for themselves.

There are some very capable exceptions - and they deserve far more support than 'where do i put the USB cable'!
Q: How many searches did you make before posting this question?      A: none
At the very least, take a guess at the solution, then we can help move forward from what you know already.

Go Up