Go Down

Topic: Request for edit rule change (Read 232 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterPan321

Its pretty rare, for me anyway, that I can post or reply on any on-line forum without realizing I need to edit what I wrote. Unfortunately, for some reason, this forum will block always me from doing so every time. It will report that I've made too many posts within a 5 minute period, and advise to try again alter. Something badly wrong there. First of all, its seldom I finish any post in 5 minutes. Second, If I'm being blocked from editing, it means confusion for the person I was trying to help, and there's little I can do beyond come back "later". And by the way, "later" never really seems to come, as the same error is always reported. So that means the errant post or response just stays. Finally, its just weird that editing (or deleting a post or response)  is blocked because I've supposedly "exceeded the number of posts allowed in 5 minutes", yet the system doesn't complain at all if I just make a new post. Is this a bug? Can it be corrected?

MAS3

There is a very good reason for this; spam protection.

You probably won't believe me if i tell you that i've actually seen spammers post some rubbish post, and if they succeeded at posting, edit it to fill the now existing post with spam.
This measure was implemented to put that to an end.
Spammers will not wait a mere 5 minutes, and go look for another large forum to fill with their spam.
Once you've made 100 posts, you'll be free to edit your posts.

So i'm fine with this.
Of coarse my 100th. post is a while ago so this doesn't affect me any more..
As far as i know, the limit is to an edit or a new post within 5 minutes after a post.
If the 5 minutes are in reality longer than that, then that needs to be looked into.
What if it is 5 minutes between tries, so first attempt in the 4th. minute, means next attempt needs to be done at at least minute 10 after the initial post ?
I don't know.

In the mean time, you can try to prevent to have to edit your post.
Click preview instead of post, and pre-read your post - to - be.
Sure, that can be tedious and problematic if you are replying to an active and busy thread (because there might be replies by others by the time you're done).
But it's a powerful help in composing a comprehensible and correct post without errors (you might miss errors in the normal edit screen, i know i do every once in a while).

So i just did a preview, and edited some extra information to this reply just now.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

pert

The main problem I see with the 5 minute delay on edits is that if you want to attach and embed an image following the recommended procedure here:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=364156
you actually do need to post and then edit the post ASAP. This forum is so active that people will have already read the post within 5 minutes. It's tedious to have to wait around for the 5 minutes to be up so a lot of newcomers just won't bother to do so. This means either we end up having to download the attached image to view it instead of seeing it at a glance or they end up hosting the image elsewhere and often after some time that content disappears so people viewing the thread in years to come are missing important information.

PeterPan321

The main problem I see with the 5 minute delay on edits is that if you want to attach and embed an image following the recommended procedure here:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=364156
you actually do need to post and then edit the post ASAP. This forum is so active that people will have already read the post within 5 minutes. It's tedious to have to wait around for the 5 minutes to be up so a lot of newcomers just won't bother to do so. This means either we end up having to download the attached image to view it instead of seeing it at a glance or they end up hosting the image elsewhere and often after some time that content disappears so people viewing the thread in years to come are missing important information.
Well it seemed like a bug, but if its been thought out I'll live with it. But those I try to offer help with will just have to take my posts with a grain of salt. I have articles online that are years old (fortunately in my own domains) where I'll say "I can't believe how many have proofread this for m, besides myself, and still there's a dumb mistake here!".

Speaking of images though, Is there a reason why an image I attach can (a) be seen in line, in the place within the post where it was relevant, and (b) can't be seen during a preview? It would be helpful, especially with schematics. And its already been mentioned that placing the image just using the supplied button only results in a URL request, and though I "could" put the image offline, its a lot of bother, and I couldn't guarantee its permanence then.

pert

Well it seemed like a bug
You'll be glad to know that at least two influential members of the Arduino team agree with you on this subject.

Speaking of images though, Is there a reason why an image I attach can (a) be seen in line, in the place within the post where it was relevant, and (b) can't be seen during a preview? It would be helpful, especially with schematics. And its already been mentioned that placing the image just using the supplied button only results in a URL request, and though I "could" put the image offline, its a lot of bother, and I couldn't guarantee its permanence then.
The embed image feature takes a URL but you can't get the URL of the attached image until you have posted.

Go Up