EthernetShield (without UTP cable inserted)

Hi,

Below is my setup code:

void setup()
{
  // start the Ethernet connection:
  if (Ethernet.begin(mac) == 0) 
  {
    Serial.println("Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP");

while(true); 
  }
  Udp.begin(localPort);
  Serial.flush(); 
  Serial.begin(9600); 
  Serial1.flush(); 
  Serial1.begin(9600); 
  RFID.flush();
  RFID.begin(9600); 

pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(4, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(5, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(6, OUTPUT);

pinMode(53, OUTPUT);

SD.begin(4);
  UpdateSaldo();

}

It works with the UTP cable connected; it connects to the DHCP server gets an IP address etc and continues with the program. However when the UTP cable is disconnected or the router is offline it will not do anything (I would figure that it then would print to the serialport "Failed to configure.." etc. Why is this not the case?

It works with the UTP cable connected

What is a UTP cable? Connect to what and what?

Serial.flush(); 
  Serial.begin(9600);

Block until all pending serial data has been sent. Then, open the serial port. Why?

Below is my setup code:

Should have posted that to http://snippets-r-us.com.

Why is this not the case?

How do you know it isn't? It can take a while to fail to get a connection.

Using DHCP requires more arguments than the mac address.

However when the UTP cable is disconnected or the router is offline it will not do anything (I would figure that it then would print to the serialport "Failed to configure.." etc. Why is this not the case?

It does, at least mine does. It takes over a minute for the dhcp request to time out and return the fail.

SurferTim:
It does, at least mine does. It takes over a minute for the dhcp request to time out and return the fail.

I've timed it and it takes well over a minute (1 min 56) before it times out. Is there a way to speed this up?

You can speed it up by connecting the UTP cable to a network with a dhcp server. Otherwise it will require a library modification.