ATMEGA fuse value reference

Is there any documentation that summarizes the ATMEGA328P fuses? The calculators are useful and the atmel doc doesn't have all fuse bits in one place.

liudr:
Is there any documentation that summarizes the ATMEGA328P fuses? The calculators are useful and the atmel doc doesn't have all fuse bits in one place.

pp299-301 of the datasheet?

pico:

liudr:

I am using this version: 8271G–AVR–02/2013. The stuff is spread across several chapters. Which version are you referring to?

They're all in Chapt 28 for Atmega328P, 8271G–AVR–02/2013

Lock Bit Byte
Extended Fuse Byte
Fuse High Byte
Fuse Low Byte
Signature Bytes
Calibration Byte

Thanks. Pages 286-289 also has some (maybe duplicates). I'm printing them all out. My memory not good for memorizing these anymore.

What memorize? Merely look at table of contents, Memory Programming.
286-289 is part of Chapt 28 by the way.

liudr:

pico:

liudr:

I am using this version: 8271G–AVR–02/2013. The stuff is spread across several chapters. Which version are you referring to?

Have a look at pp299-301 in your version.

Sounds like you have the right datasheet, you're just looking at the wrong pages. On page 298 there is the section heading "28.2 Fuse Bits". The first table that applies to the 328 specifically is table 28-6 on p299.

pp286-289 cover self-programming of the flash, which is something only a special purpose program like a bootloader needs to do.

Maybe you mean Tables 28-6 to 28-9? They are on pp299-301, and cover the relevant information.

OK, I printed everything out. What I was complaining about was that the chapter 28 has all the bits but no detailed explanation. The explanations are all embedded in the respective chapters such as ch 9 etc. It would be nice to have a document that has all that spread out information from different chapters and together with fuse byte info from ch 28.

liudr:
OK, I printed everything out. What I was complaining about was that the chapter 28 has all the bits but no detailed explanation. The explanations are all embedded in the respective chapters such as ch 9 etc. It would be nice to have a document that has all that spread out information from different chapters and together with fuse byte info from ch 28.

Ok, I see what you are complaining about. It's true, if you want to know the details of the clock source settings, for example, you need to find that information elsewhere in the document.

I think as you become used to the layout of the document, it becomes less of an issue. Sort of like going to a new supermarket for the first time -- first time you are there, can't find anything, and everything seems to take five times as long as it should. After a few visits though, everything is quick and easy.

FWIW, although no technical writing is perfect, I think the Atmel docs are of very high quality overall. One of the principal reasons I enjoy AVR is because of the quality of Atmel's technical documents, I believe.

Their docs are pretty good. If I have time, I'll make up something like a fuse bytes reference doc. Engineers don't like duplicates so I rarely see information repeated in a spec sheet :slight_smile:

liudr:
Their docs are pretty good. If I have time, I'll make up something like a fuse bytes reference doc. Engineers don't like duplicates so I rarely see information repeated in a spec sheet :slight_smile:

Also, just like in programming, it can quickly become a maintenance nightmare.

There are some on-line fuse 'calculators' that may help. Select the device type and see what fuse options it has:

http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc

It would be nice to have them all in one place. The clock options are the worst.

Sure is. Check out the pull down menu on clock options in that fuse calculator I posted.

retrolefty:

[quote author=Jack Christensen link=topic=245260.msg1755800#msg1755800 date=1402103448]
It would be nice to have them all in one place. The clock options are the worst.

Sure is. Check out the pull down menu on clock options in that fuse calculator I posted.
[/quote]

Right, seen that before, and it's an amazing piece of work, but maybe I'm looking for something a little lower level and lower tech. Basically just a consolidation of Tables 28-6, 28-8, 28-9, plus the tables they reference and link to. Which I think are just: BODLEVEL, BOOTSZ, and CLOCK/SUT options.

Too bad tables can't be easily copied out of a PDF and into Excel, or I'd have done it by now. Did Pighixxx do anything with fuses?

It seems that adobe acrobat can copy and paste tables. I'll have to try it in my office.