Quis posses scribes vel dices Latinam

Non possum ego, paenitet.

(I cannot, sorry).

I did 3 years of Latin during high school, but i'm sad to say it's practically all gone now ! I speak Greek though (as I'm of Greek descent), does that count ?

Boffin1:
LOL

I tried to post a clever reply using Google translate English / Latin for " damned if I can " which gave me " si potero damnari "

when I translated it back to English, it gave me " you prune damnari "

I shall be more careful using Google translate for business quotes in future :slight_smile:

That why you never use GoOgLe TrAnSlAtOr :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I didn't get to the passive infinitives (ari)

"potero" should be "possum"

Otherwise the latin is correct

Are you sure? :stuck_out_tongue:

Close enough. :slight_smile:

Boffin1:
LOL
I tried to post a clever reply using Google translate English / Latin for " damned if I can " which gave me " si potero damnari "
when I translated it back to English, it gave me " you prune damnari "
I shall be more careful using Google translate for business quotes in future :slight_smile:

Using Bad Translator :

Original text (from Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech) :
"Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives."

Result (back and forth 18 times with Bing) :
"If you look at mine. All I know of love 6. To every man, to which the ears and all."

Quote from: Nick Gammon on Today at 03:26:55 am
Non possum ego, paenitet.

(I cannot, sorry).

Are you sure? smiley-razz

Google translate agrees :slight_smile:

Thanks AWOL, hadnt seen that MP sketch for a long time !

I did 4. And 2 of German. I remember so little of that now, {mumble} years later.

Gallia omnia in tres partes divisa est. Incolunt habebem primam ...

Arma virumque cano, Troiae qui primus ab oris ...

We read Caesar, Cicero, Pliny, Ovid, Virgil, and few other things. I learned more about English in Latin class than I learned in any English class.

I am a Freshman in college and I took Latin all three years in middle school and all four years in high school. a ae ae am ?, ae ar?m ?s ?s ?s (all the way to) X is ? X ?, a ium ibus a ibus. That is as far as I can remember the noun endings. I know the verb endings like the subjunctive, aud?atur (ex. tac?te tam aud?amus, translated to: Shut up, so that we may hear!) XD

I is edumakated :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing that is raising my eyebrow is that you claim to be from Kentucky? They teach Latin in Kentucky? Outside of a catholic school (or a magnet school or similar), I can't imagine that. Heck, I can't imagine quality education in Kentucky at all (probably better than West Virginia, though!)...

:smiley:

You sound like you might be one of the "lucky ones" - heck, I honestly wonder just how I managed to fare so well given where I grew up originally...

My Australian Latin teacher came to Lexington, Ky to learn Latin. Coincidently, he said Lexintonia is the Latin capital of the world.

Well, a google search does seem to back up that assertion; at least there seems to be a fair number of places teaching it. The greater question in my mind is "of all potential places, why KY"?

Not all of us here in Ky are from Hicville. (place "laugh" emoji here)

I thought Lexington was a carrier (aircraft carrier). Didn't realise it was a place.. XD

Look up 2010 or 2011 Altech Equestrian Games, Kentucky Horse Park, Keeneland among other attractions.

There is a Lexington, Massachusetts (battle of Lexington and Concord)
That is the only other lexington I know of.

Lyrics of "Island Girl" by Elton John

AWOL:

Lyrics of "Island Girl" by Elton John

^^^^oops, oh well :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a Latin convention I went to as a high schooler, called Junior Classical Luegue or JCL. There is a state convention (I have been to 4. one as State Technology Coordinator Officer) and a national convention (i have been to 1. as an officer)

My daughter is currently sorta majoring in "classics"; she's a sophamore, sort of. She's a little freaked out at the moment because half of the people in her current Latin class are grad students.

If she is trying to remember the finger forms for Latin endings

left thumb "a" right thumb "ae"
left index "ae" right index "arum"

Always start with the thumb.

Left hand is singular.

Right hand is plural.

Practice the 1st declention 10 times or until you can do it with out looking at the tables. then the 2nd and so on