Ethernet shield, rev1..3?

Hi.
Im about to buy me an Ethernet shield for my old Mega 1280.
I see there is different revs and the older ones are really cheap. so my question is: Is there any benefits using rev 3 on my old mega board.
I tried to look in the hardware index section but there is no rev history for the ethernet shield so i cant make any comparison...

Thanks in advance!
/S

The current revision of the shield is 6. Older revisions lack the SD card interface and were not compatible with the Mega series of Arduino (rev 5 and 6 are, I don't know which revision introduced support for the Mega series).

Thanks for your replay!
It's a bit confusing, retailers says rev3 but the schematics says 06...
Could i do the conclusion that if it has a micro SD slot then its compatible with Mega?
And in the ref i see this line

The most recent revision of the board exposes the 1.0 pinout on rev 3 of the Arduino UNO board.

So if i don't have UNO rev3 i wouldn't benefit from latest rev (6)..?

Could i do the conclusion that if it has a micro SD slot then its compatible with Mega?

I'm not sure if this coincidence is a correct assumption. If you have the schematics, then look if the SPI lines are from the ICSP header and not from the corresponding digital pins (which are 11, 12 and 13 on the UNO but 51, 52, 53 on the Mega).

So if i don't have UNO rev3 i wouldn't benefit from latest rev (6)..?

The Mega2560 in the newest rev (3) uses the same pin layout. As fas as I know rev 5 work withe the Mega series too, but I don't have detailed information on the revs before that.

The one im looking at says its the latest, i can clearly see it's not cous it doesn't have the holes for the PoE module. But it has a sd-card slot and a dedicated icsp female header in the rear end. I will go for that one.
Thanks for your help pylon!

edit: here's a karma point for your collaboration :wink: