Bug in IDE 0021 Duemilanove and Linux

Hi all,

if I flash a Duemilanove using IDE 0021 (with Ubuntu 10.04) I have this Problem:

I connect the Duemilanove to the Linux Box and the PC can receive the data send by Arduino. I reboot the PC with the Duemilanove attached, and the application on the PC can not receive any data because /dev/ttyUSB0 is in use. If I disconnect the Arduino and connect it again, then everything is working as expected. This happens only with Duemilanove, UNO (wich uses /dev/ttyACM=) is working fine.

If I flash the Duemilanove with IDE 0018 (on Windows) the Duemilanove is also working if attached during boot. So it must have to to something with IDE 0021.

How about running

lsof |grep /dev/ttyUSB

And your analysis is flawed btw. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Unfortunately I had to finish my project quick, so I used the 0018 IDE to do that. Now I don't have any Duemilanove to examine the problem any further (the Duemilanove is at my client).
I still have a Mega (1280) and "hoped" I could reproduce the same error with that board, but the Mega works perfect, no error.
I try to get a new Duemilanove to examine the problem again.

Unfortunately my project did not work at the clients site, it must be a chance that it works here a couple of times. So even if I flash the Arduino with 0018 IDE my Linux application can not receive Data if the Arduino is connected to the PC at startup. The serious thing is, that when I do

lsof |grep /dev/ttyUSB

the result is nothing.

/dev/ttyUSB0 is present in the file system. I can see the FTDI chip in /dev/serial/by-id and /dev/serial/by-path

also

screen /dev/ttyUSB0

reports "can not exec /dev/ttyUSB0 : No such file or directory. But /dev/ttyUSB0 is present in the file system