Go Down

Topic: Arduino as tachometer (Read 442 times) previous topic - next topic

Tawmeh

Hey :) I'm new to the whole arduino world, and was wondering if it's possible to rig an arduino to a small diesel motor to use it as a tachometer? I've looked into it and people say it needs an alternator, which it doesn't have...

jremington

Feb 13, 2018, 03:17 am Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 03:18 am by jremington
You need some sort of sensor to read the output shaft revolutions. There are many possibilities: Hall effect sensor, slotted disk optical interrupter, tachogenerator, etc.

The Arduino would read that and display the result.

Tawmeh

The main question I have is where would I have to hook it up to get said reading as it doesn't have an alternator?

jremington

Feb 13, 2018, 03:21 am Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 03:22 am by jremington
The "alternator", missing or not, has nothing to do with it.

The sensor reads the revolutions of the motor shaft. That is what you want to know, isn't it?

Tawmeh

Yes, but that brings another issue. Will post a picture in 5 minutes or so.

Tawmeh

The shaft is running to a pump motor of which I can't access.

jremington

That would not be an Arduino problem.

Tawmeh

As in it wouldn't be a problem for it? Or it's not suited to do that?

jremington

The Arduino just reads a sensor. If there is no place to attach a sensor, you may have to pick another project.

Tawmeh

Not really a project. We need it for our work equipment. The only other option is pay $1600 for a tachometer. Which we don't really want to do.

jremington

Feb 13, 2018, 04:17 am Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 04:18 am by jremington
That is a totally unreasonable price. You could try to figure out how/where the tachometer is attached. If you come up with something, let us know!

Tawmeh

That's why I'm here haha. The base model is 1600, the high end one is 6000. So yea trying to find a way around it haha. Just wondering if anyone else had figured something out in the past with one :p

Paul_KD7HB

There is ALWAYS a place for a sensor. Is your Diesel air cooled with a fan or water cooled with a radiator and fan?

Is the pump directly connected to the crank shaft, or through a flexible/u-joint? Does your Diesel have a flywheel? Does it have an electric starter or does it have a hand crank? Is it a single cylinder? Does it have high-pressure tubing to the injectors?

Come on, think about the engine you want to monitor, can you see any moving part????

Paul

Tawmeh

Air cooled, direct to crank, with flywheel, electric start, single cylinder, and no high pressure tube to injectors.
It's a yanmar motor with a powamac pump, if that helps at all.

Paul_KD7HB

Air cooled, direct to crank, with flywheel, electric start, single cylinder, and no high pressure tube to injectors.
It's a yanmar motor with a powamac pump, if that helps at all.
Thank you.

Can you attach a reflective material or paint to a spot on the fan? Can you attach a piezo to the exhaust?

Paul

Go Up