Single Sided Board without TTL conversion

Hi Everybody,

I just want to find out if anybody has made a eagle layout of a board without any ttl conversion on it. ie, no serial or usb. I've got a few projects that I want to make, but they don't need any communication access, atleast nothing permanent. I've been looking on the net for boards and I even tried modifying the original ss board schematics, but after changing the schematic I need to repopulate the board and then I can't seem to get it singe sided. I'd like to make the boards myself and I would like to have layout in eagle. Is there such a package available or shall I try again with eagle ?

Regards,
Tom

The easiest way is to make an original Single Sided,
or Westfw version (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194427008;start=all),
or S3v3rino version (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1196740449;start=all) without mounting serial circuitry. The board will have empty spaces, but this is a choice if size is not a problem. Westfw and S3v3rino are easier to mount than original SSS.

Or if you want to modify the boards, removing serial circuitry, I suggest you not modifying original SSS too. To modify Westfw and S3v3rino are best option too.

S3v3rino has only 3 wire bridges, so even a bad modification will bring you a single sided board! :wink:

Good luck.

Hi Everybody,

I just want to find out if anybody has made a eagle layout of a board without any ttl conversion on it. ie, no serial or usb. I've got a few projects that I want to make, but they don't need any communication access, atleast nothing permanent. I've been looking on the net for boards and I even tried modifying the original ss board schematics, but after changing the schematic I need to repopulate the board and then I can't seem to get it singe sided. I'd like to make the boards myself and I would like to have layout in eagle. Is there such a package available or shall I try again with eagle ?

Regards,
Tom

What are your other requirements, eg do you have a size requirement? Does it need to be compatible with standard shields? Pin order need to be the same?

The simplest way to go would be to etch one of the serial single sided boards that are floating around, and just not use the communications bits. Just install the power section, the microcontroller, the reset stuff etc.

Alternatively, if you have something else in mind, eg trying to get it very small, or have specific pins available (e.g. servo connectors or something) I might be interested in mucking around in Eagle to help out.

Alex

Hi Tom,

I have a couple suggestions for you.

1.) You could just build the original Arduino board and not populate the DB9 connector and all the ttl components when you assemble your board. (Shortcut)
or
2.) When you edit the eagle cad schematic, make sure that the Board and the schematic are not only connected in your project, but that both are open when you edit the schematic. (There is no forward or backward annotation unless both the board and schematic are opened and linked.) If they are both open you should simply be able to delete components in the schematic and look over at the PCB to see them missing from that file too.

Good Luck,
Mike

Hi Everybody,

Regards,
Tom

What are your other requirements, eg do you have a size requirement? Does it need to be compatible with standard shields? Pin order need to be the same?

The simplest way to go would be to etch one of the serial single sided boards that are floating around, and just not use the communications bits. Just install the power section, the microcontroller, the reset stuff etc.

Alternatively, if you have something else in mind, eg trying to get it very small, or have specific pins available (e.g. servo connectors or something) I might be interested in mucking around in Eagle to help out.

Alex

I don't really have any specific size requirement, but it would be nice to be able to have a board without the serial stuff (apart from two pins coming from the rx and tx). Also, the pin order doesn't need to be the same and it also doesn't have to be shield compatible. I develop with my arduino but once the project is ready I just want to load it onto one of the smaller boards and then install it in an enclosure.

Mike: Sounds like a good idea. If that works then it should be fine. Thanks

Thanks for all the help everybody, I'll have a look at it.

I did some changes on S3v3rino board, and got this:

I need to make more adjusts, but I think it's the smaller board size without serial components (looking it better, I can make it a bit smaller), but Arduino fully compatible.

The sizes:
66x84mm original SSS (version2)
66x90mm S3v3rino
57x76mm TTL version

Have you looked at the boarduino? It doesn't have any on-board serial or USB, just headers that you can use if you want or need to. Of course, it has male pins instead of female, so that might require some re-arranging.

The boarduino is listed under the hardware page, I think. It's pretty cheap as a kit and easy to assemble.

Adilson Akashi you've got the diode a little too close to the power connector.
Also the traces at the bottom can be pushed up a bit.

Other than that it appears fine.

Nope. It's only visual. The DC connector is the thin white line. The green pad is at soldering side. And all the wires will be redrawn, with more gnd and +5v polygons.

I need to make more adjusts, but I think it's the smaller board size without serial components (looking it better, I can make it a bit smaller), but Arduino fully compatible.

The sizes:
66x90mm S3v3rino
57x76mm TTL version

Wow, looks great. I'd love to get the eagle files for that once your done. I'll send you some boards when I make them.

Have you looked at the boarduino? It doesn't have any on-board serial or USB, just headers that you can use if you want or need to. Of course, it has male pins instead of female, so that might require some re-arranging.

The boarduino is listed under the hardware page, I think. It's pretty cheap as a kit and easy to assemble.

I had a look at it and it would work great for what I want to do, but ordering stuff from South Africa over the internet is usually either expensive or a mission. I'd like to make the boards myself.

The sizes:
66x90mm S3v3rino
57x76mm TTL version

If you move C5 and C8 closer to the border (near the regulator), you will be able to lower a little bit more the cost, by using standard height capacitors. Everything in the SHIELD area, needs to be low profile (shorter more expensive components).